Underclassmen Bring Raw Talent To the 2023 Loyola Men’s Tennis Team

When many people think of Loyola sports, they often think of soccer, lacrosse, swimming, and basketball. While Loyola often shines in these sports, there is an unheard raw talent that Loyola has in their pocket: Loyola tennis. Loyola has a rich tennis program and after having a successful 2021-2022 season, they are looking to build on their success with a younger class full of potential.

The squad has already kicked off its season with a big win against Hampton, the top-ranked HBCU school. Coming off last season’s 9-9 record, the men’s team is looking to end with a higher win percentage. Despite the team’s success, many students do not know about the tennis team. Many of these student-athletes were ranked players in their state and a part of state championship teams. George Torres ‘26 has given some insight into how many students view the tennis program. 

“I have a lot of tennis athletes in my classes and they are some of the hardest-working people in class,” Torres said. “I can also see they are dedicated to their sport. I see them around campus with their racquets often which is already making me more interested in the program.” Max Engel ‘26 also gave some perspective on how students view the tennis athletes around campus and at the FAC. 

“I often see student-athletes working hard in the gym and it’s nice to see them in the gym community,” Engel said. “I can tell they have chemistry as they’re always there together working hard on the bench press and on the squat racks.”

Many of Loyola’s sports teams have great chemistry. Coaches strive for it when building a team and it can certainly be reflected in their records and GPAs. In the Spring 2021 semester, 217 student-athletes achieved Dean’s List status, according to Loyola Athletics.

Ryan Boland ‘25 gave some insight into why Loyola’s tennis team is successful in the classroom and on the court.

“The new coaches challenge us as a team to grow on the court and off it as well,” Boland said. ”They seem to have a new sense of commitment to our program that I have not felt yet in this sport. My high school wasn’t this committed but our program here at Loyola is very different.”

Harry Zeiders ‘26 is from Heritage Hall in Oklahoma City. He was very successful there, having won the Oklahoma state title in singles and doubles in 2022, in addition to capturing the Oklahoma State Boys’ Tennis Player of the Year. He was also a two-time Most Valuable Player at Heritage Hall, helping the team win two state team titles. Clearly, Zeiders knows how to win but he stays very humble. 

“It’s all about the bond that we have,” Zeiders said. “These aren’t my teammates, they’re my brothers. We eat, work, and practice together. I am more than excited to keep working with my brothers to be better than yesterday.” Zeiders also mentioned his lofty goals for the season, which include trying to win over half of his matches.

The Loyola Men’s Tennis team plays Norfolk State at noon on Feb. 26 at Ridley Athletic Complex. Come out and show your support!

Featured Image Courtesy of Jake Bella.