Loyola Basketball Programs to Host Hounds Madness

For the first time since 2014, the Loyola Maryland men’s and women’s basketball programs will host a Hounds Madness event in Reitz Arena.

The preseason pep rally is set to occur at 8 p.m. on the night of Friday, Oct. 28 in the Reitz Arena. The event will allow members of Loyola Maryland’s campus, ticket holders, and the broader Baltimore community to have the opportunity to familiarize themselves with the varsity men’s and women’s basketball teams as they open their 2022-2023 season. The event is free for all to attend. Associate Director of Gameday Marketing, Melissa Hassen said that in prior years Hounds Madness was an opportunity to kickstart the basketball season with excitement and passion for Loyola basketball.

“We hope to achieve the same level of excitement while also introducing new gameday traditions and showcasing our team’s personalities.” Attendees will have the chance to meet and interact with both teams’ coaches and student-athletes as well as appearances from Iggy, the mascot, as well as the cheerleading and dance teams. The first 500 fans will receive a free color-changing cup as well as light refreshments, courtesy of Loyola’s Superfans.

Graduate student and captain Jaylin Andrews said, “Overall, my team and I are excited to get the fans engaged and hyped for this season. I hope that this event can translate into more fans and school spirit for upcoming games in the future.” Daraun Gray, a senior on the men’s team, said the fans are in for a treat. He explained how the dance team has been coming to the end of practices to help them with their dance.

“One thing I know for certain is that it will be a fun night, and everybody should come out for a good time.” Hounds Madness will feature team introductions, special performances, and a chance to learn some of the gameday traditions. Fans will have a chance to get in on the fun by competing in contests and all will be entered to win a raffle full of Loyola gear. Loyola women’s basketball captain and graduate student Taleah Dixon got the chance to attend Hounds Madness back in 2014. She said her youth team and herself would come when she was 10 years old and enjoy free pizza.

“It was probably one of the best experiences in my younger ages,” Dixon said. “I am so glad they brought it back because it was so much fun.”

Loyola Maryland men’s basketball opens its season with a home game on Sunday, Nov 13 at 5 p.m. against non-conference opponent Brown University. The women’s basketball team starts its season at home on Monday, Nov 7 at 7 p.m. against non-conference opponent Niagara. The Hounds also play at home on Sunday, Nov 12 at 12 p.m., before the men’s game, against UMBC. For both home openers, Loyola Athletics encourages all fans to wear white and there will be a free white t-shirt giveaway for all fans!

Featured Image courtesy of Bri Rozzi