What You Missed This Summer: The Greyhound Opinions in Review

National: President Trump tweets about “rat-infested” streets

On July 27, 2019, President Donald Trump tweeted in response to a feud between Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-MD,and Kevin McAleenan, acting head of DHS. Cummings slammed McAleenan over the detention of children and conditions of the detention centers at the US-Mexico border. On July 18, Cummings openly criticized McAleenan’s policies in an emotional response, at one point asking what it means that “a child is sitting in their own feces, can’t take a shower? Come on, man…they are human beings.”

President Trump was quick to respond to Cummings’s assault on McAleenan’s policies, stating in an open press interview that Baltimore residents are “living in hell…they’re largely African-American…and they really appreciate what I’m doing, and they let me know it.” While many have been eager to address the racism in his comments and tweets about the “rat-infested mess” which is Baltimore, members of the Baltimore community began posting to their social media pages with the hashtag “This Is Baltimore” to show their support for the city.

Stay tuned to discover how the Loyola community takes action against these and other divisive notions affecting our Baltimore community.

Baltimore: Baltimore PRIDE

The Baltimore Pride celebrations kicked off on June 14 with a storytelling series, and continued over the next two days with a parade, block parties and performances featuring Tom Goss and Jennifair, as well as the Inaugural Pride Ball.
The themes chosen for this year’s Pride Celebrations were unity and diversity. According to WBALTV11, , these themes represent an effort to bring awareness to a heavily marginalized community. Mayor Jack Young was also reported to be in attendance, whose policies often support LGBTQ+ rights.

Photo Courtesy of USA Today, originally taken by Susan Walsh/AP.