Active Minds club prepares I Will Listen campaign

From Oct. 2-6, Active Minds will be holding events for the I Will Listen campaign, aiming to promote mental illness support and awareness. The campaign stresses active listening and knowing the signs of when you or a friend need help so that as a community we can listen to as many people as possible.

The Baltimore branch of the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) will provide Active Minds with resources and free giveaways that people will see throughout the week. Event and activities will include signing a pledge to promise to listen to a friend in need, DIY photo frames, “Reason I Speak” activities, and a wellness event.

“These are great activities that are fun and impactful, as well as promoting suicide prevention awareness as September is suicide prevention month,” President of Active Minds Dana Sauro ’18 said.

The club hopes to encourage students on campus to seek help if needed. They want students to be a friend, lend a shoulder, or offer to listen to any and everyone who may need it. Sauro wants to let students know that regardless of whatever they are struggling with, Active Minds and NAMI Baltimore serve as resources to help in any way possible, and will always be available to simply listen.

“I want people to know that you are never alone. To anyone feeling overwhelmed, useless, or hopeless, I want you to know that I’ve been where you are. It may sound cheesy, but the main reason that gets me through it all is my incredible support system, and the Counseling Center here at Loyola,” Sauro said.

Sauro is most excited for the “Reason I Speak” event, where students can write down reasons why they speak about suicide prevention. Pictures will be taken for a slideshow and video.

“Suicide prevention has always had a special place in my heart after losing a friend to it, so I am so grateful and honored to be doing this event,” she said. “Please know that you truly are loved and cared for on our campus and that if you ever need someone to listen, I and everyone at Active Minds and our counseling center is here for you.”

For more information on NAMI or Active Minds, visit their websites.

Resources:

Counseling Center—410-617-CARE

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline—1-800-273-8255