Loyola Maryland Connections: The Govans Market

Farmers markets have been around for years and are increasingly attracting more participants. The Govans Farmers Market is a produce and vending market that occurs near Loyola Maryland’s campus at 5401 York Road. It is full of fairly priced produce, food trucks and more.  

Many Loyola students are eager to check out the many vendors that are offered at the market. Stephanie Piscal ’26 attended her first Govans Market this September. 

“I had a really good experience at Hampdenfest so I was kind of thinking it was going to be similar to that so I wanted to check it out,” said Piscal. 

The market vendors sell everything from fresh produce and crabs to jewelry and clothing. Piscal was eager to view the many options. 

Piscal said, “There is cool jewelry and clothing that I definitely want to look at.”  

The market is also an opportunity for local food vendors to set up a station and sell their food. Taco Loco is a Mexican restaurant that has a section at the entrance of the Govans Market. They sell everything from authentic breakfast burritos to Agua Fresca, which is water and sugar mixed with a choice of fruit or flowers.  

As well as offering great local food and shopping options, the Govans Market also partners with Loyola students. Kyra McDonnell ’22, a recent Loyola graduate, works with Govans Market. 

“I’m the market manager, it’s part of my role as program coordinator for the York Road initiative office,” said McDonnell. She began working in the market during her sophomore year and now holds a position as market manager. 

“Many in the Loyola community and beyond enjoy frequenting the market. I think it’s just a really fun place just to stop by and get to know some new people”, said McDonnell. The last Govans Market of the year will be held from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Sept. 28.

Featured Image courtesy of Genevieve Green.