Loyola alumna shares her post-graduation story

In today’s highly competitive workforce, it’s important to stand out from the crowd, even if that means just wearing a little bit of red during interviews. Loyola graduate Daysi Perez ‘19, in her guest appearance at the Public Relations Student Society on Oct. 15, emphasized to current students the value of networking and stepping outside of your comfort zone when it comes to finding your first job post-graduation.

Perez, who graduated with a degree in Communications last May, is currently working at Media Works, LTD — a marketing agency with specialized capabilities in media research and planning. Prior to landing her first job in media, however, Perez admitted that she wasn’t familiar with the field until later in her senior year, but that didn’t stop her from branching out.

“I knew nothing about media until I began my senior capstone. I got to try something new and I realized I really liked it,” said Perez. “Expand your horizons, even if you think it’s going to be tough because that’s how you figure out what you like.”

Perez urged students not to give up when looking for that first job. “A lot of my friends had things planned out before graduation, and that frustrated me. I graduated and still had no job or plan.” To her excitement, a job offer came two weeks after she graduated. “Give it time and don’t compare your path to anyone else’s. It will work out in the end.”

When it comes to networking, Perez noted that Loyola faculty can be some of your biggest advocates. “It’s great to have your professors on your side. When you have a good relationship with a professor, they have their eye out for you and will reach out to employers on your behalf.”

Aside from networking and expanding your comfort zone, one of Perez’s biggest beliefs is to stand out to employers in any possible way. “Make the employer remember you, even if that means wearing a little bit of red in the interview to catch their eye,” said Perez. “Stand out in your resume by making it creative, even put your picture on it. The little things go a long way.”

Everyone follows their own path in life, and although she was nervous at first, Perez still found her way. Above all, Perez told the students not to be afraid. “Go out and try something new, you never know what may come from it. Don’t be scared to ask questions either, it’s better to ask for help than to mess up along the way.”