Meet the Firms highlights professional excellence at Loyola

A sense of excitement electrified the air in McGuire Hall as students gathered for Meet the Firms on Sept. 17, an annual professional networking event sponsored by Loyola’s Career Center. With over 40 firms in attendance, this event was the largest professional opportunity Loyola University Maryland has hosted to date. 

Campus recruiters and experts in a variety of fields presented students the opportunity to learn from experienced professionals in a workshop format. The event centered upon the presence of acclaimed accounting, finance, and business operations organizations such as KPMG, Cohen Reznick LLP, Morgan Stanley, and PwC, among others. Many firms that have had a lasting impact on the Baltimore community were present, including Under Armour, The Baltimore Orioles, and Stanley Black & Decker. Recruiters were open to fostering connections with students from all majors. Every table had business cards and information pamphlets to expand student awareness about future opportunities. 

Students learned about company vision, values, and organizational goals directly from current employees. Many asked questions pertaining to company culture, trends in the current business climate, and the qualifications of a successful candidate.

Maddie Brenner ‘21, a business economics major in the Sellinger Scholars Program, enjoyed the event: “I thought Meet the Firms was really beneficial because it allowed me to start to feel more comfortable talking to professionals,” Brenner said. “It also gives us an opportunity to expand our network of contacts and stay in touch with the people we meet.”

Meet the Firms is sponsored by T. Rowe Price, a global asset management firm which conducts financial investment, planning, and consulting for multiple business institutions. Light refreshments were provided and the dress attire was business professional in order to make lasting impressions. In fact, there were so many Loyola students in attendance that the flow of traffic between tables often became jammed as groups of students circled around an animated recruiter or networked with other students on the side. 

“It was a good experience; they had a variety of firms for different fields of study. One thing I would suggest is to alter the layout so that there is a better flow of traffic between the tables,” said Chloe Boustany ’20. 

In addition to Meet the Firms, the Career Center has also found great success and high levels of student engagement through their social media campaign, titled #LoyolaReady. This movement encourages students to reflect upon their current professional profiles. The Loyola Career Center is dedicated to helping students prepare themselves for full-time employment through online interactive tools such as Handshake, a platform for students to post their resumes, credentials, and goals in order to network with other members of the Loyola community. The Career Center has facilitated extensive networks of alumni, staff, and professionals dedicated to accelerating students towards professional success. In a changing world, Loyola students will be ready to serve, inspire, and learn from the connections they make today. For more information, please visit https://www.loyola.edu/department/career-center.

Image Courtesy of The Loyola Career Center on Twitter