Women’s Soccer blanks Lehigh 1-0 in conference opener off Hoefs free kick

The women’s soccer team edged Lehigh 1-0 on the road at Ulrich Sports Complex, starting with a 1-0 record in Patriot League play for the first time since 2016 and improving to 3-5 overall. The lone goal came off the foot of Hannah Hoefs ’20 in a second-half free-kick from outside the box. 

Despite attempting more shots on goal, Lehigh (2-3-4) had nothing to show for their efforts. Loyola goalie Paige Sim ’23 thwarted each attempt on her way to five saves and a shutout in her first collegiate start.

Both teams started the match with their own barrage of scoring attempts. Loyola fired off three quick shots, then Lehigh responded with six of their own. Sim withstood the onslaught to keep the game scoreless with clutch saves in the 13th, 23rd, and 25th minutes.

After generating no scoring chances for most of the match, Loyola finally got another opportunity in the 70th minute. Sarah Mirr ’22 drew a foul just outside the box, setting up a long Loyola free-kick. Hoefs stepped in and bent the shot right to left, and it snuck just under the top crossbar to end the scoring drought.

Sim stopped one more Mountain Hawk shot to maintain the lead. She and her defenders held strong the rest of the way, allowing the Hounds to open their conference schedule with a key road win.

Loyola faces their final non-conference opponent on Tuesday, Sept. 24, against Delaware State. Kickoff is at 4 p.m.

Image Courtesy of Loyola Athletics.