A Greyhound’s Guide to Changing Your Major

The question of which major to choose can be an incredibly difficult one to answer, and even more of a challenge to feel 100 percent confident in. You may come to a point where, sometime after you have declared your major, you find yourself having second thoughts. Many students shy away from dealing with this dilemma, but with these steps I want to encourage Loyola students to be brave in the face of uncertainty by exploring switching to a different field.

Maybe the workload within your current major is becoming too much to bear. Maybe your interest and passion for that field has eroded over time. Maybe you wonder if you would be more engaged and fulfilled pursuing a different path. Regardless of the reasons behind it, you suddenly find yourself thinking of changing your major.

In many ways, this second discernment process can be just as daunting as the first, but the steps below may help walk you through it. Changing your major can be a rewarding process that should not be run away from when you’re doubting your degree path. Many students decide to stay with their current major to avoid the headache of changing classes and learning new information, but sometimes the benefits of making the switch are greater than the hassle.

First, you must decide for yourself if changing your major is what you truly want to do, and if you truly have a passion or affinity for the field you have chosen. If it has become something you find yourself struggling to get through, struggling to enjoy, or even having to convince yourself that this is the right path for you, you may wish to consider taking the time to step back and discern for yourself if this major is the right fit for you.

You need not try to figure everything out on your own either. Your professors have a wealth of knowledge and experience that can aid you in coming to a decision, so asking for their advice may come in handy.

Secondly, if you have decided that you want to change your major, you must decide what you want to switch over to. Even if you already have an idea or are already set on something else, I recommend doing some research for yourself or getting in touch with the right people in order to make a more informed decision.

When I was considering switching from Psychology to English midway through my sophomore year, I met with my former English professor beforehand, who I had for a few English courses already, to discuss my intentions with him. Having had me as a student in the past, he was able to assess my abilities and determine whether or not he believed the English major would be a good fit for me.

He was also able to provide me with more information on the major’s marketability to employers, common job titles held by Loyola English degree recipients, and his own personal experiences on how the English major’s skill sets translated into the workforce.

Thirdly, make sure you have a plan in place as far as your course load for the near future. One of the most important steps in changing your major is making sure you can change it in the first place and still graduate on time. This is where the Degree Audit forms come in.

For any who may be unaware, you can find these forms on the Inside Loyola site under Academic Profile. In short, the forms are tailored to your current major and outline the courses you have taken, the credits you have earned, what specific courses you will need to take for your major, the core requirements, and your minor if you have one.

Speaking again from personal experience, taking the matter to Academic Advising is a great idea, and is much easier than trying to map things out on your own. They can within minutes lay it all out in front of you whether or not changing your major would be a good idea at this time and what your required course load would look like going forward if you did make the change.

Lastly, don’t be afraid to explore other options. Don’t be afraid to switch. Above all, have a passion for what you do, and you will find