Loyola men’s and women’s soccer fall in weekend matchups

Andrew Turner Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

Loyola’s soccer program suffered through two tough losses last weekend.

The men’s team traveled to Dallas, Texas to take on Southern Methodist University on Friday Sept. 15 in the first-ever meeting between the two schools.

SMU opened the first half with a strong offensive showing, which resulted in two goals. The first came in the 16th minute, followed by a second in the 28th minute.

With a 0-2 disadvantage moving into the second half, Loyola looked to step up their offense. However, they were unsuccessful in finishing their plays. Instead, SMU added to its lead by tacking on two more goals.

SMU owned a 15-7 lead in shots, and the final score read 4-0 in favor of the Mustangs.

The boys will look to take on Colgate on Sept. 22, which will open Patriot League play for the men’s team.

The women’s team opened Patriot League play on Friday, and fell to a similar fate of the men’s club. Colgate defeated the Hounds by a final score of 3-1.

The Lady Hounds did not play as good a defensive game they usually do during the first half. Colgate was able to add three goals to end the first half.

Early in the second half, defender Claire Beath ’21 scored Loyola’s first and only goal of the game from the top of the box, with assistance by midfielder Hannah Hoefs ’20. This was Beath’s first collegiate goal and Hoefs’ first collegiate assist.

Throughout the rest of the half, the Hound’s strengthened their efforts by playing more defensively. However, their shots did not see the back of the net.

The Lady Hounds face Navy this Friday, Sept. 22 in Annapolis.