For one night only, Loyola smells like teen angst

WLOY started off the semester strong on the evening of Thursday, Jan. 26 with a late night concert featuring Milton J and the Leftovers and Breakforth, two bands with an angsty sound.

The two-hour event took place in McGuire Hall, where students were called to show up in dark, edgy clothes to represent their inner teen angst. Students showed up sporadically throughout the night, where they were joined alongside friends for a fun night of music and pizza.

Milton J and the Leftovers was the first act to perform. The group consists of five members, although only three were able to make it out to the show. Nevertheless, the group put on a great show. Since the group was short two musicians, the three-man band performed an acoustic set consisting of alternative, hip-hop songs, and even some covers.

“I’m here with my friends. Really, really good vibes. Their music is a mix of alternative and covers, [it’s] really cool,” Celeste Colón, ’20 said.

An acoustic guitar, a bass, and a couple of microphones was all they needed to get the audience’s feet tapping along.

“Rad group, but they got a little techno now,” lead-singer Milton J said before transitioning into a cover of the Black Eyed Peas’ hit “Where is the Love?” Everyone sang along to the familiar tune, enthusiastically applauding by the time it was over. If you missed their set, be sure to check out some of their music here.

Next up was Breakforth, a four-man rock and metal group featuring Loyola’s own Matt Weitzil. Like most rock groups, Breakforth takes inspiration from the classics: Nirvana, Foo Fighters, and Pearl Jam.

About 30 seconds into their first song, one of the drummer’s sticks split in two and went flying into the air. Hard core? I would say so. Be sure to check out Breakforth here.

Overall, the show was a great opportunity for students to get out and listen to some live music on a Thursday night. There was an impressive turnout too. Both bands, family, friends, and crew were surprised and thankful for the support.