Family Weekend 2016

Christopher Connell Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

If you walked around campus this weekend, you may have seen the multitude of parents, siblings, and even grandparents scattered around the place we have come to call home. They might have looked lost or confused, or maybe even in awe of the beauty of the Evergreen campus. Well, that’s because this weekend was Family Weekend.

Family Weekend at Loyola had a big schedule, so there was always something to do. Of course, the main event was spending quality time with everyone’s families and developing a community amongst adults and college students.

On Friday, Father Brian Linnane welcomed everyone with a casual presentation in McGuire Hall to talk about the current state of the school. Parents had the opportunity to meet faculty and deans. It was the kick-off to the great weekend. Later that night, the American Shakespeare Company performed their rendition of “Romeo and Juliet” at McManus Theater.

“They made [a genuine effort] of using original Shakespearean effects, like leaving the lights on in the theater and having the actors interacting with the people sitting in the audience,” said Heather Merrifield, a first year who saw the play with her parents.

Friday was a great start to the weekend, but most of the highly-anticipated events took place on Saturday. First, there was the Picnic on the Quad, which was moved to Reitz Arena because of the weather (the sky did not agree with the excited, homey feel of the weekend). The menu included amazing food like beef brisket, Swiss sandwiches, and pulled barbecue chicken, making it more than just your ordinary picnic.

Andrew Turner Photo, Courtesy of Flickr
Andrew Turner Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

Students and their families also had the option of visiting the Evergreen Museum, the Loyola Notre Dame Library, and the St. John’s Bible Exhibit within the library. There were also sporting events to attend, with men’s soccer playing Navy and women’s soccer playing Boston University. The boys beat Navy 2-1, while the girls unfortunately lost to Boston at 1-0.

The highlight of the weekend for most people was the trip to the National Aquarium in the Inner Harbor, where Loyola parents and students were given discounted after-hours tickets. There was an interactive touch pool of jellyfish, a giant pool in the center of the aquarium with every type of fish, and a dolphin tank. “Despite the rainy weather, we enjoyed spending time and touring the National Aquarium,” said Mark Lewis, alumni and parent of freshman Maggie Lewis. “A real gem of the city of Baltimore.”

Parents clearly loved the quality time spent with their kids both on and off campus. “We had a great time at Family Weekend. It was fun getting together with our daughter and her roommate and meeting her new friends,” Janice Fischer, mother of first year Maddie Fischer, said. “We also enjoyed seeing Baltimore and its many diverse neighborhoods and local restaurants.”

On the other hand, this weekend could have been stressful for some people. “It was stressful seeing my parents after being away from them for this long,” first year Natalie Lana said. “I love my family, but we tried to fit a month’s worth of time into one weekend, so it was a bit overwhelming. But on the plus side, they brought me a lot of food!”

mjscbaltmd Photo, Courtesy of Flickr
mjscbaltmd Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

For many students, the best part of Family Weekend is eating off campus and having their parents treat them to the meals. “It was nice to eat anywhere but the dining hall this weekend,” Lana said.

Overall, parents weekend was a huge success for faculty, students, and parents. Families got to see what life is like for their emerging adults at Loyola. With many hugs, laughs, and even tears that were shared among everyone, it was all in all a great time. Next stop, home for Thanksgiving!