How should we Celebrate Valentines Day?

Valentine’s Day seems like a cute idea, right? Well, not so much for the single ladies and gentlemen who feel as though this day is just a reminder that they are alone. And certainly not for the numerous couples that tend to end the day in arguments because they didn’t seem to have the “perfect” day.

The idea of this day has evolved into a great deal of stress and expectations. Why are we sad because we don’t have a significant other? Why are we unhappy with our significant other because he or she didn’t buy us enough chocolate or didn’t take us to a fancy enough restaurant?

This day is a wonderful way to celebrate romance, but it tends to unfold negatively. It is a sweet idea to celebrate love, and it should stay this way. Furthermore, we should all celebrate it in our own respective ways.

If your significant other buys you a single red rose, be grateful. If your best friend buys you a box of chocolates, give him or her a hug, and stuff your face. Maybe even offer up one or two? Sharing is caring, right? And if absolutely no one does anything for you, relax. It is not the end of the world.

Pervin Photo, Courtesy of Flickr.
Pervin Photo, Courtesy of Flickr.

Valentine’s Day is a great excuse for couples to show their affection for one another. The thing is, if you are in a great relationship you don’t need a day for this — you’re welcome to celebrate any day of the year. If you don’t have a significant other, don’t think of this day as a reminder of the love you don’t have, but let it show you of all the love you do have in your life, like the ones from friends and family. Better yet celebrate your singleness, celebrate yourself. There is no need to turn a holiday that’s embedded with such good intentions into some sort of depressing and upsetting day.

A great way to think about Valentine’s Day is to break it down into its simplest form. This day was created in memory of a saint, and the love and romance that has been derived from this day over time is only meant to spread love. For instance, think back to the good ole days in elementary school when you and your classmates would take time to create valentines for one another and share love in this sense. Let’s bring this idea back, and keep thoughts and actions positive this February 14.

Take away the anxiety that seems to go hand in hand with this holiday. There is no need to commercialize Valentine’s Day and spend a ton of money or put in an unnecessary amount of effort. Rather, a simple “I love you” directed towards the people you care about will suffice.

This Valentine’s Day, I choose to celebrate myself, the ones I care about, and eat as much chocolate as I want. After all, it is a holiday…

Feature Image: Brent Moore Photo, Courtesy of Flickr URL