Adele is Back and Better Than Ever With New Single “Hello”

LOS ANGELES, CA – AUGUST 28: Singer Adele arrives at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards at Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE on August 28, 2011 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Christopher Polk/Getty Images)

You’ve undoubtedly seen the news blasted all over social media, but in case you’ve been living under a rock, listen up: Adele is back.

Beacon Photo, Courtesy of Flickr
Beacon Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

Its been four years since the British singer brought us chart topping ballads like “Rolling in the Deep,” “Rumor Has It,” and “Someone Like You.” We were all incredibly impressed by her ability to make us feel things we never knew we could feel, and even further impressed to know that by the age of 21, she had released two full albums. Her songs are known for their themes of melancholic breakups and learning to move on, but her new album, “25,” is more focused on making up. In a message posted on her social media accounts on October 21, she said, “I’m making up with myself. Making up for lost time. Making up for everything I ever did and never did…25 is about getting to know who I’ve become without realizing. And I’m sorry it took so long, but you know, life happened.” We do know, Adele, and we’re glad you decided to give it another go.

People on the Internet have been freaking out upon hearing the news that the first single of “25,” titled “Hello,” was recently released. But, Adele wasn’t messing around this time, bringing us not only the song but also a beautiful new music video. In less than a week after its initial publication on YouTube, the singer’s new hit has reached over 70 million views, proving that people have been anxiously waiting for this very moment.

The video opens to a dirty window, immediately calming the viewer with muted sepia tones and blurred imagery. Adele appears onscreen shortly afterwards, speaking with someone on a flip phone (thanks for the throwback, girl), until she dramatically shuts it closed and makes her way into an old, vacated home, uncovering all of its windows and furnishings protected by dusty sheets. The camera then focuses on Adele’s flawless, perfectly contoured face, reminding us just how gorgeous she is. Once the music begins, you’re already unprepared for the emotions Adele is about to fill you with.

One major element the video surprises viewers with is the very good-looking young man playing Adele’s ex. To some he may just be another hottie, such as those found in a Taylor Swift video, but for others he is best known as Michael Lee from the hit drama, “The Wire.” He has grown up a lot since his days on the show, effortlessly proving that he can be both passionate and enraged, and look desirable while doing so (seriously, his smile could melt many hearts).

Another important aspect and noticeable motif spread throughout the video is the presence of phones. Be it a flip phone, landline, or even a London-style telephone booth, there is no mistaking the way these objects are woven into the message of Adele’s song, giving it depth and meaning.

The combination of music made up of the singer’s heartfelt vocals, reverberating piano, and a slight drum beat, along with wooded autumn scenery and the emotion-filled faces of the video’s protagonists, makes for an easily re-watchable music video. If you’ve ever been through a difficult breakup and had the desire to reconnect after months, or maybe even years, but can’t seem to make the other person welcome you back no matter how hard you try, then “Hello” is the perfect song for you to listen to on repeat.

Feature image: Beacon Photo, Courtesy of Flickr URL