Alumni Spotlights: Senior Manager of Corporate Finance Brian Shannon

Photo courtesy of Flickr

I am fortunate to be a graduate of Loyola. My four years at Loyola shaped a large portion of who I am both professionally and personally. I developed lifelong friendships and met many faculty members who took genuine interest in myself and other students. Although I didn’t always realize it at the time, I received an education of the whole person, which is integral to the person and leader I am today.

I entered Loyola with a passion for finance and graduated in 1995 with a B.B.A. in finance. It still feels like just yesterday! During my time at Loyola I was a member of the crew team and I was active in clubs like the Financial Management Association. After graduating, I worked for a few years at T. Rowe Price before joining my current employer, Accenture, where I work in Corporate Development.

I have always been proud to be Jesuit educated. This pride swelled within me last month when Pope Francis visited my home town of Philadelphia. Pope Francis is the first Jesuit pope and I was fortunate to see him up close. This strengthened my appreciation for my Jesuit education. One of the tenants of Jesuit spirituality is to look for God in everything. In my career, I have tried to apply this to the business world. I believe there is always some level of good in every situation. In your career, focusing on the good will help you grow and will help you develop others. Even if something doesn’t go as planned, it is a learning opportunity. By thinking through the experience, you will develop into a better leader and manage future endeavors better. Always try to take something positive away from every experience. It is there!

Loyola also inspires students to learn, lead, and serve in a diverse and changing world. And boy is the world changing! Technology, new business models and geopolitical events are some of the key drivers of this change. These trends will continue in future years and decades. I encourage you to embrace your liberal arts education. Take different classes. Learn about other cultures and read books on different subjects. It will help you learn how to think differently and interpret events and problems. These skills are increasingly vital.

Develop interests outside of work so you can develop the whole self. Take care of yourself physically. Peruse your hobbies. Spend time with your family and nurture friendships. Don’t let work define you. One of my favorite quotes is from former Secretary of State Colin Powell. He says, “You should never be so involved with your position/job that when the position is gone your entire self-image is gone with it.” Enjoy your work and give a 100%, but strive for some balance in your life.

Always act with integrity. You can be intelligent and hard working, but if you don’t have integrity it doesn’t matter. You will not be successful in the long run. For me, integrity means acting ethically and honestly. It means saying what you mean, matching your actions to your words and taking responsibility for your actions.

I wish you the best of luck in life and your career. The world is an amazing and challenging place. Define what success means to you. Loyola has given you the education and tools to be successful, now it is up to you.

If you are interested in networking with Brian, he is happy to talk to students further about his career path. Reach out to him at the following email:

[email protected]