The Pumpkin Spice Latte Revamped

downloadPSA: the pumpkin spice latte is back. And, this isn’t just an important announcement for collegiate girls whose wildest dreams would include having an IV of Starbucks constantly flowing through their veins. No, this is an important message for everybody everywhere because this year, Starbucks has slightly altered this infamous beverage.

This season, Starbucks will begin using real pumpkin puree in their lattes, instead of caramel coloring. There has been no exact explanation from the coffee franchise as to why it’s changing the ingredients of the beloved drink, but we can only assume they want to stay up-to-date with other companies in removing all artificial ingredients from their products.

First put on the market 12 years ago, the pumpkin spice latte was quickly praised for its delicious creamy, spicy taste, that is perfect for the fall weather. Peter Dukes, the mastermind who created this beverage back in 2003, was the same person who announced this season’s revamped-version of the latte. He leaked the news of this change on the company’s blog on Monday, August 17.

Despite fall not officially beginning until Wednesday, September 23, the pumpkin spice latte made its grand reappearance on 635711350966973188-1822444232_psl-090413-tbvTuesday, September 8, when classes were just starting up once again and students and parents alike were barely adjusting to their back-to-school regime. However, for those die-hard fans that couldn’t wait until September 8 for a taste of their beloved pumpkin spice, they had a chance to taste this latte ahead of time. Customers were able to do this by following the Twitter account @TheRealPSL (yes, there’s actually a Twitter account made solely for the pumpkin spice latte), and then clicking on the fan pass website before entering in the secret code (which was “pumpkin,” originally enough). After this, Twitter users had the ability to enter their cell phone number in order to receive a special pass via text in order to purchase a latte before the release.

To all pumpkin spice latte lovers – rejoice! Your beloved drink, which officially marks the beginning of the fall season, has finally arrived. People in the U.S., along with 50 other areas around the globe (including South America, Europe, Africa and the Middle East), will have the pleasure of indulging in this delicious drink. Happy PSL season everyone!