NFC South and West Previews

NFC South

New Orleans Saints: This division is always hard to predict. The teams are very close record-wise, but I think the Saints did the most in the division to improve themselves. The team especially improved in the draft by selecting Andrus Peat to help protect Drew Brees. It attacked its weak defense by selecting Stephone Anthony with pick 31 at the draft. One player to watch out for is wide receiver Brandin Cooks. The Saints are very high on this guy to perform in a ‘sleeper’ type of year.

Key Acquisitions: C.J Spiller, Brandon Browner, Max Unger, Anthony Peat (Draft), Stephone Anthony (Draft)

Key Departures: Curtis Lofton

Prediction: 9-7

Atlanta Falcons: The Falcons spent good money trying to improve its lackluster defense. Matt Ryan, aka ‘Matty Ice,’ has his top two targets, Julio Jones and Roddy White, to throw to back again. This team could surprise some people with its performances this year, but it does have to face division contenders Carolina and New Orleans in 3 of the last 4 weeks in the season.

Key Acquisitions: Brooks Reed, Adrian Clayborn, Vic Beasley (Draft)

Key Departures: Sean Weatherspoon

Prediction: 8-8

Carolina Panthers: The season-ending injury to star Kelvin Benjamin hurts this team in a lot of areas. Unlike the Packers, the Panthers don’t have the depth to replace his production. Cam Newton cannot carry this team to the promise land without a supporting cast. Reigning NFL Defensive player of the year Luke Kuechly is a man amongst boys on the gridiron. Overall, the Panthers will regress a bit this year.

Key Acquisitions: Charles Tillman, Shaq Thomson (Draft)

Key Departures: Greg Hardy, DeAngelo Williams

Prediction: 6-10

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The benefit of being the worst team in the NFL last year is getting the first overall pick. The Buccaneers used that pick on quarterback Jameis Winston from Florida State. Tampa Bay figured that it would be a recipe for success by getting a quarterback and pairing him with stud WR Mike Evans. This team has way too many holes though to compete and may get blown out in a few games this year.

Key Acquisitions: Henry Melton, Jameis Winston (Draft)

Key Departures: Mason Foster, Michael Johnson

Prediction: 3-13

NFC West

Seattle Seahawks: They just seem to keep winning these past few years. Everyone believes Russell Wilson is a great quarterback, but is he the product of a stellar supporting cast is some food for thought. The defense will be solid, while Marshawn Lynch and his giant bags of skittles on the sidelines will carry the offense. Seattle and Green Bay are the ‘Class’ of the NFC (They play in Green Bay on 9/20).

Key Acquisitions: Ahtyba Rubin, Jimmy Graham, Frank Clark (Draft)

Key Departures: Byron Maxwell, James Carpenter

Prediction: 12-4

Arizona Cardinals: Carson Palmer just won’t go away. He keeps coming back from injuries and keeps producing at fairly high levels. Larry Fitzgerald will again be the face of the franchise and forever will be (besides Pat Tillman, RIP). The team made the necessary signings and draft choices to solidify making the playoffs this season.

Key Acquisitions: Mike Iupati, Cory Redding, Sean Weatherspoon, D.J. Humphries (Draft)

Key departures: Dan Williams, Antonio Cromarte

Prediction: 10-6

St. Louis Rams: The Rams silently have emerged in the last few years into a tough team to play against. Their defense is solid and the struggling running game should be fixed with draft choice Todd Gurley coming into the mix. The team has a tough schedule and a new quarterback to overcome.

Key Acquisitions: Nick Foles, Nick Fairley, Akeem Ayers, Todd Gurley (Draft)

Key Departures: Kendall Langford

Prediction: 8-8

San Francisco 49ers: This team is a mess. Colin Kaepernick regressed so much last year that 1) the head coach got fired and 2) if Kaepernick doesn’t perform again he potentially could be out of the Bay area. He might be the most targeted free agent in 2016. It also doesn’t help that San Francisco’s star player, Aldon Smith, got his third DUI in three years, and got suspended for what seems like the eighth time. In addition to those problems, it seems like every other player on the team retired. Losing Patrick Willis to retirement will have a profound effect on this organization for years to come.

Key Acquisitions: Torrey Smith, Arik Armstead (Draft)

Key Departures: Patrick Willis, Frank Gore, Mike Iupati, Chris Borland, Chris Culver, Michael Crabtree, Perrish Cox, Aldon Smith

Prediction: 2-14

Photo via Flickr