Rise Against impress with newest album

Rise Against is an American punk rock band from Chicago. The band currently consists of Tim McIlrath (lead vocals/rhythm guitar), Zach Blair (lead guitar/vocals), Joe Principe (bass/vocals) and Brandon Barnes (drums). All the members, except for Barnes, follow a straight edge lifestyle, which means they abstain from alcohol and drugs entirely.  The band’s style, which is punk rock with a progressive feel, has not changed much throughout their history.

The Black Market, Rise Against’s seventh studio album, was released this summer. Similar to their past albums, their vocals revolve around current events, moral issues and politics. The album reached number three on the US Billboard 200, number two on the UK Rock Chart, and number one on the Canadian Albums Chart.

“The Great Die-Off” opens the album with an upbeat orchestra of instruments, which abruptly breaks into heavy guitar and loud drums. Rise Against continue their signature singing style, which is more of a harsh yelling. The song revolves around the idea of wanting the world and wanting it now. The solo is melodic, but nothing more than a few notes. The song then goes into a stop-beat bridge, which resembles a heavier metal song.

“I Don’t Want to be Here Anymore” is the album’s first and only single so far.  This song has received a tremendous amount of radio play due to its catchy riffs, vocals and lyrics.  Throughout the song, the listener experiences a roller coaster of musical dynamics, going from loud to soft and back to loud once again.It features a fun melodic solo and vocal harmonies throughout  and it is a great example of what a rock song is.

“Tragedy + Time” starts  with a sound similar to that of a  Sum 41 song, a lone guitar blasts a punk rock beat as the rhythm guitars and drums play a simple rock beat that has the ability to get the listener pumped up. Throughout the verse and chorus, the guitar features an octave harmony solo. The song is constantly upbeat with blasting guitars, powerful drums and loud vocals.

“The Black Market” starts with vocals and a clean guitar, which features unorthodox chords that leave the listener with some tension. This kicks into a classic Rise Against-style song with driving guitars and loud drums, including a melodic verse solo behind the vocals.

“The Eco-Terrorist in Me” starts with a loud guitar and screaming vocals, which progresses into a punk rock, alternative style during the chorus; a lead guitar harmony blasts while the drums become powerful and the vocals calm to the band’s normal yelling. The song features strong dynamics between all the instruments, as well as some of  Rise Against’s darker lyrics.

“Sudden Life” starts with a slightly distorted guitar playing arpeggios. The song picks up into an upbeat rock sound [K1] with loud vocal harmonies. The guitar work features fast strumming throughout.

“A Beautiful Indifference” has an intricate rhythm pattern, full of hard driving guitars that stop and start throughout.  Throughout the song, the guitars and drums speed up and slow down, get louder and get softer, all of which adds depth to the dynamics.

“Methadone” starts softly with a slightly distorted guitar, but then it kicks into a full out rock song with loud, driving guitars, yelling vocals and powerful drums.

“Zero Visibility” begins with a metal-like guitar riff and powerful drums.  The verse vocals are less singing and more yelling. The lead guitar harmonizes during the chorus while the vocals yell in a harmonious fashion. It features a classic rock solo, full of screaming notes and shredding. It has several stops throughout, which leads to the song changing dynamic.

“Awake Too Long” is a vocal driven song, in which the vocals are actually singing and not yelling. It is fairly upbeat throughout, and loud like every other song on the album.

“People Live Here” features an acoustic guitar with soft melodic vocals. Later in the song, an orchestra begins to play lightly behind the guitar and vocals.

“Bridges” starts with the stereotypical Rise Against sound: loud guitars, drums and yelling vocals (as you guessed, I’m sure.)  It’s a great song to end the album because it sounds like a rock anthem with a killer lead guitar, and leaves the listener nodding their head throughout.

This album is definitely the type to blast in the car with the windows down. As a  solid rock album that features loud instruments and creative lyrics, it is one of the better albums released by Rise Against.

[K1]Upbeat followed by “rock beat” just sounds repetitive