The Greyhound Needs Your Hot Takes This Year!

The Greyhound is the perfect platform to make yourself heard. Consider publishing an opinion piece with us.
Tim Schluth

The following represents the opinion of the student reporter and does not represent the views of Loyola University Maryland, the Greyhound, or Loyola University’s Department of Communication.

First and foremost, I’d like to introduce myself. I’m Tim, the editor of The Greyhound’s Opinion section, and I am of the opinion that you should consider writing for us. If you have any hot takes or ideas that you think the Loyola community should be aware of, I have great news for you: The Greyhound is a wonderful platform to express your viewpoints and bring attention to causes you’re passionate about. After a few really great opinion pieces last year, we’re looking to build on that momentum and help more students make themselves heard. If that hasn’t convinced you, though, below is a list of reasons you should write an opinion piece for The Greyhound:

Freedom and Flexibility: 

The Opinions section in particular gives writers a lot of freedom. When writing an opinion piece, you have an opportunity to be creative in the points you present and the way you present them. You could write about anything, from a pressing political issue of our time to your personal ranking of the bathrooms on campus (yes, this has happened). Overall, the flexibility of this section allows you to put new topics on the table and allow your personality or sense of humor to shine through your work. The possibilities are endless!

Watch This Space in 2024:

It’s that time again! As 2024 approaches, you can expect to see an influx of political discourse and advocacy on campus. You may even feel like it is your civic duty to stand up for the causes you believe in. Here, you have an opportunity to encourage youth civic engagement, contribute to the national dialogue, and make a case for candidates and causes ahead of consequential elections.

Potential for Change:

Do you have advice from your time abroad, thoughts on campus facilities, or even off-campus housing? Sharing your experiences could potentially open eyes and ultimately change someone’s Loyola experience for the better! Your message may mean more to someone coming from a fellow student.

Giving Back:

We are also looking for writers for our News, Arts and Eats, and Sports sections. We would like to feature more pieces that highlight specific people and programs. Maybe you’d like to put the spotlight on someone you really admire for their leadership or hard work on campus. Fortunately, Loyola has no shortage of incredible people whose work deserves to be seen.

Overall, I hope you’ll join us this year as we work to make our Greyhounds heard. If you’re interested in learning more or pitching an article, I urge you to come to our meetings on Monday nights at 7:30 p.m. or reach out to me at [email protected] or [email protected].