Erik Etherly ’12 signs professional contract in Israel

By Philip Reid-Francisco

Staff Writer

Loyola University Maryland alum Erik Etherly signed a professional contract with Hapoel Gilboa Galil. The former Greyhound will play this season for Hapoel Gilboa Galil in the Israeli Basketball Super League, the top basketball league in Israel. Last year, the team won the Balkan International Basketball League, and have its sights on the Israeli Championship this upcoming season. Hapoel Gilboa Galil play their home games in Gan Ner, Israel.

Etherly’s basketball career began at Annandale High School in Alexandria, Virginia. After high school, he got the opportunity to play for Northeastern University in the 2008-2009 collegiate basketball season. However, after his freshman year at Northeastern, Etherly decided to transfer to Loyola. He immediately made a huge impact on the Loyola Men’s Basketball team in the 2010-2011 season.

As a sophomore, Etherly averaged 10.8 points and 7.8 rebounds per game, helping the Greyhounds to 15-15 record. As a junior in the 2011-2012 season, Etherly averaged 13.7 points and 7.5 rebounds per game. He led the Greyhounds to a 24-9 record, a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference championship, and an appearance in the NCAA Tournament (the Hounds first since 1994). In his last season, Etherly averaged a career high 15.7 points per game.

During his three years at Loyola, Etherly finished his college career with 1,245 points. Besides his scoring abilities, Etherly was also known for getting rebounds, grabbing 669 of them. He is 20th all-time at Loyola in points, 10th in rebounds and 3rd in blocked shots with 121.

Etherly earned All-MAAC First Team honors in his last two seasons at Loyola. He was also the first Loyola player to receive All-District I honors from the National Association of Basketball Coaches twice.

Etherly graduated in December 2012 from Loyola with a B.A. in communications. After graduation, he got the opportunity to participate in a workout with the Washington Wizards in the pre-NBA draft Portsmouth Invitational. He also was a member of the Maryland team in The-BALL league in Washington, D.C.