Princess Diana style plans for new movie

Courtesy of Flickr.com

Author: Bridget Tolan

Ever since Prince William’s marriage to “commoner” Kate Middleton on April 29, 2011, the world has become re-obsessed with royalty. I actually stayed home from school that day to watch the royal wedding, because not seeing Princess Katherine’s wedding gown in real time simply would not be the same. Now, with the recent birth of Prince George, son of Prince William and Princess Katherine and future heir to the throne, the world has become even more obsessed with following the latest news on the royal family. It is a fantasy, and it is every little girl’s (and big girl’s) dream to be a princess. When I heard that a new movie about Princess Diana, aptly titled “Diana”, is expected to come out sometime this fall, I could not help but re-obsess over Princess Di. Despite being too young to remember Princess Diana while she was alive, I have felt a connection to her ever since looking through my grandmother’s collection of magazines emblazoned with Diana. Of course I have been checking the official movie Facebook page nearly every day to compare Naomi Watts, cast as Diana, to the real-life princess. After all, Princess Diana was the fashion icon of the 1980s and 90s. It simply would not feel right if the movie did not portray Diana’s effortless style accurately.

Princess Diana was and still is the ultimate fashion icon: formal when necessary, effortlessly laidback when appropriate. She made velvet and shoulder pads look chic. And who could forget the pictures of her from her days off: jeans, blouses, blazers, bootsó she made polished laidback look so easy. Despite her effortless style, she also took risks. One of my personal favorite fashion moments of hers was the burgundy crushed velvet Catherine Walker gown that was all business in the front, party in the back, with a low back that she paired with a long strand of pearls worn backwards (Jennifer Lawrence at the Oscars, anyone?). I wonder what the Queen thought when she wore a choker which once belonged to Queen Mary I as a headband. Princess Diana once said, “I’m a free spirit. Some don’t like that, but that’s the way I am.” And that she was. Her free-spirited attitude toward her style choices continues to inspire women everywhere. Hopefully her free spirit will shine through in the upcoming movie.

Lucky Magazine named “Diana” one of its “11 Stylish Period Films We Can’t Wait To See This Fall,” and rightfully so. Based upon photographs of Naomi Watts as Diana, all of the outfits shown so far are actually quite accurate. Obviously, I would love to see that burgundy Catherine Walker gown make an appearance in the movie, but the film is said to focus on the last two years of Princess Diana’s life, ruling out a majority of memorable style moments. I would, however, love to see the Jackie Kennedy-esque pink Versace ensemble Princess Diana wore in 1995.

I have high hopes for this film, partly because I love Diana and partly because I know nearly everyone also admires Diana and would try to make the film as accurate as possible in her honor. I have read a few interviews in which Watts says she diligently studied Diana to get the part correct. Despite her efforts and the efforts of the hair and makeup team, Watts does not look incredibly accurate herself. Diana was five inches taller than Watts, and her voluminous blonde tresses seemed to defy gravity, so there was not much that could be done other than making the best effort. After all, Diana was in a league all her own. Although shoulder pads and sheer tights may not be making a reappearance any time soon, we can all take a cue from Princess Diana’s effortless, free-spirited sophistication, and what better way to start than watching her style come to life again on the big screen this fall?