Taylor Swift’s “Midnights” Album is Her Darkest Work Yet and Fans are Loving it

Taylor Swift fans have been waiting anxiously all October for the release of her tenth studio album, “Midnights.” The album is Swift’s darkest and most cryptic work, and it resonated with fans, breaking Spotify’s record for most streamed album in a single day.

The midnight release of Taylor Swift’s new album ignited many listening parties as fans gathered to stream her new work and experience the album together. The experience lasted all night, as the first 13 songs were released at midnight, and a chaotic special surprise of seven more songs on the album was released at 3 a.m. 

The album consists of songs representing 20 sleepless nights that Swift has endured throughout her life. It is filled with heartbreak, regret, newfound love, and a lot of self-loathing. 

Fans have been dissecting the different songs and piecing together what era from Swift’s life the sleepless song is about. 

When referring to the song “Karma,” Molly Bruce ’23 thought the song referred to Swift’s past conflicts with Scooter Braun and Kanye West.

“She never names names, but this song is so clearly about Scooter Braun and Kanye. She’s doing this album still discreet like she usually is, yet she’s revealing a lot more through the lyrics,” Bruce said. “People who know a lot about Taylor know what the song is about.”  

Bruce also spoke about how she believes this to be some of Taylor’s saddest work as the lyrics outline personal and intimate details about her past. When referring to the song “Anti-Hero,” Bruce recognized the self-loathing that Swift admits to and believes that it is one of her most personal songs. Though Swift’s work is dark, fans are still finding it relatable as the popstar becomes more vulnerable. 

“I find her vulnerability so relatable, and it actually makes me like the album more. She is mentioning serious issues like her struggles with her eating disorder, her experiences of self-hatred, and her lack of trusting that I think every girl can relate to,” Bridget Parsons ‘24 said.

Swift has attracted fans with her mysterious “Midnights” album, full of musical storytelling that brings listeners back to experience the unique album. 

“Midnights” is now available for streaming on all music platforms.

Featured Image courtesy of Meaghan Parsons.