Metamorphosis: the return of the BSA Fashion Show

After two years, the Black Student Association (BSA) Fashion Show, a campus staple since 1998, has returned from hiatus. “Metamorphosis,” a night of fashion, dance, and celebration of Black culture inspired by “The Wiz,” will be showing April 1.
Co-director Camryn Williams ‘22 says the show is the one of the only events on campus led entirely by students of color that everyone seemingly wants to go to.

“The fashion show has always been something that all students want to go to. It’s something that people look forward to. It’s something that alumni look forward to,” she said. “I’m doing this so that once the directors— being myself and Jovial [Njinyi]— leave this year, there will be other people interested in picking up those positions and saying, ‘Wow, I really want to be involved in something like this.’”

“Metamorphosis” incorporates more than traditional runway walks. The show is highly choreographed with dance being a critical element of the performance. In addition to walking the runway in clothing sourced by the creative team, the models involved will be performing choreographed dances on stage as a part of the event. Model Matt Franco described the incorporation of dance into the show as a way for both the creative team and the models to be more expressive and interpersonal. He said:

“The BSA fashion show is not just [a fashion show]. The BSA fashion show is about culture. When you see us get up there and dance, it’s not to try to mock the runway tradition. We’re doing that to add our own personality to it.”

“Metamorphosis” is inspired by the film and Broadway play “The Wiz,” an interpretation of “The Wizard of Oz” that is deeply rooted in Black American culture. Williams and Co-director Jovial Njinyi expressed a desire to celebrate Black culture.
“There’s a lot to celebrate about being a person of color, especially when the media tries to portray otherwise… We’re using it in a celebratory way instead of trying to find struggle in what it means to be a person of color.” Williams agreed. “I definitely think we needed something to uplift Black people rather than constantly talking about the last killing that happened.”

Students remember with disappointment when the BSA fashion show was canceled just a month before the event itself due to the COVID-19 pandemic. There was no fashion show in 2021, either. BSA executive board member and volunteer coordinator Amber Davis ‘22 spoke on how the COVID-induced hiatus of the show has affected the process.

“There is this thing in the back of a lot of seniors’ minds [that] if we don’t have this [fashion show], and it’s not great, then it might not be able to continue. But I think that’s helpful because it’s making us want to be better,” Davis said.

Davis also emphasized the excitement that surrounds an entirely student-run production.

“Being able to see what they can create and how it’s really a celebration of a culture that I’ve grown up around, I think that’s probably the best part and I’m ready to see it all.”

Njinyi detailed the wide appeal of the show.

“It’s not just for people of color. Absolutely anyone can come and find meaning in the show. As an audience member, there’s a lot that you can take away from it. I want people to know that it’s a welcoming space and that anyone can be a part of our experience.”

“Metamorphosis” is showing Friday, April 1 at 8 pm in Reitz Arena on the Evergreen campus. Tickets can be purchased on Ticketmaster for $15. https://www.ticketmaster.com/23rd-bsa-fashion-show-metamorphosis-baltimore-maryland-04-01-2022/event/15005C6394FE18AA

Featured Image courtesy of @loyola_fashion on Instagram