Exploring Baltimore, Thanks to Messina

Messina is Loyola University Maryland’s living-learning experience for all first-year students.

From interesting classes organized by theme to pairing students with caring professors and mentors, Messina plays a large role in what it is to be a greyhound. In addition to Messina’s influence on academics, the program also provides theme-wide and supported events open to all students, which they co-sponsor with offices and departments on campus.

From trips to movie theaters to fascinating speakers, the events planned by Messina are popular, as they regularly draw large crowds. When events are off-campus, Messina typically provides transportation, which also factors into student participation.

On Jan. 25, I was excited to have the opportunity to eat at R. House, which I would describe as being an upscale food court with 10 vendors offering a variety of meals. R. House is located just eight minutes from campus.

Sponsored by Messina as an Explore Baltimore: The Foodie Experience event, shuttles ran from 4:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. to and from campus and the popular dining spot. Despite the challenging task of finding a seat, the large crowds made sense when my fellow Greyhounds and I got our delicious meals. 

“I got two tacos and chips and guacamole from Amano Taco. I would absolutely go back to R. House,” said Claire Lavin ’23.

On Feb. 9, Messina’s second Explore Baltimore: The Foodie Experience event took place, this time providing shuttles to the Mt. Vernon Marketplace in the Mount Vernon neighborhood in Baltimore. Just 13 minutes from campus, the destination is another popular spot among students.

Similar to the style of R. House, Mt. Vernon Marketplace has many vendors that ensure customers will be able to find something to satisfy their hunger. After much debate, I decided to have a burger from Between 2 Buns and was not disappointed. Cooked and seasoned to perfection, my meal was good to the very last bite.

“I went to Mr. Souvlaki and enjoyed two pork souvlakia with lemon and olive oil. I would go back to Mr. Souvlaki because it reminded me of the Greek food my mom would make me at home, but I would go back to Mt. Vernon Marketplace because it is very convenient to have many different, tasty cuisines all in one spot,” said Annamaria Fazio ‘23.

In addition to Mt. Vernon Marketplace, the neighborhood is home to the Walters Art Museum. Before our meals, we visited the museum. With fantastic weather, my Messina class enjoyed the short walk between the two locations. The Walters Art Museum is open to the public, featuring an array of fascinating and, at times, confusing objects from around the world.

After completing an assignment meant to encourage our curiosity and research skills and taking photos of the incredible artwork (without flash, of course), our time at the museum was complete. We enjoyed our meals and headed back to campus.

Although the on-campus dining facilities are great, having a meal off-campus is a refreshing change of pace. As a student who was very unfamiliar with the Baltimore area upon coming to Loyola, I really appreciate the opportunity Messina offers in sponsoring the Explore Baltimore events. The chance to travel to areas I otherwise may not have known of with fellow classmates is invaluable.

According to Messina’s calendar of events for spring 2020, the next Explore Baltimore: The Foodie Experience trip will take place on March 22. This time, shuttles will take students to Broadway Market in Fells Point. Based on my experiences, I highly recommend attending.

Image courtesy of onlyinyourstate.com