Students should try these meals with their families this holiday season

Well, folks, it’s that time of year again. The days get dark faster, the temperatures drop lower, and everyone gets a much-needed break from coursework. Whether you plan to go home for the holidays or visit friends, home cooked meals are usually a highlight. As much fun as eating is, cooking the food can make the process that much more satisfying. So, here are some tempting recipes that you can try out to impress your family and friends this holiday season.

The Appetizers

The first featured appetizer is the Apple Cinnamon Bacon Bites, because does anything say fall quite like apples and cinnamon (besides pumpkin spice, of course). Minimal supplies are required, as the recipe only calls for bacon, apples, cinnamon sugar, and toothpicks. This appetizer may only take 30 minutes to create, but chances are your guests will be thinking about the delectable bites for weeks to come. Visit the link for more details, and for when everyone asks you for the recipe. 

The next appetizer is specially selected for those Loyola students who want to bring some Maryland pride to their holiday season. If this describes you, then try making Chesapeake Crab Dip.The ingredients include cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, ground mustard, seafood seasoning, garlic salt, lump crabmeat, shredded cheddar cheese, and paprika. Of course, don’t forget the crackers. This dish takes about 40 minutes from start to finish and is sure to please any fan of the crabs Maryland is known for. 

Finally, we have the Garden Herb Biscuits, which not only sound delightful but are also a great option for vegans. The ingredients are flour, baking powder, sea salt or kosher salt, black pepper, parsley, chives, thyme, non-dairy margarine, vegan “cream cheese,” carrot and/or zucchini, non-dairy milk, and apple cider vinegar. Just be prepared to warn your guests to save room for dinner!

The Sides

Arguably the most important part of the holiday season, sides can truly make or break the big meal. Nothing is worse than finding out your favorite side dish is missing from the table. You can prevent this from happening by making it yourself! Here are some recipes for any kind of side-dish fan. 

Some foods are staples of the holiday season and in my humble opinion, mashed potatoes happen to be my favorite. They can be eaten with gravy, butter, or plain and consistently are a crowd favorite. On the website Simply Recipes, Elise Bauer claims to have the recipe for Perfect Mashed Potatoes. The ingredients for her recipe are Yukon Gold potatoes, heavy cream, butter, milk, and salt and pepper. With only six ingredients, this is an ideal option for any college student budgeting their money for the holiday season. The recipe takes 35 minutes to complete.

Tradition is lovely, but sometimes trying something new can be way more exciting. So, if change appeals to you, I encourage you to try this twist on a classic favorite, by making Oyster and Sausage Stuffing. The recipe requires sausage, parsley, thyme, sage, rosemary, celery, lemon, onion, bread, oysters, eggs, butter, chicken stock, and salt and pepper. Although it does take at least an hour and a half to make this stuffing, the effort will be worth the risk if it becomes a new favorite. 

Lastly, this Vegan Green Bean Casserole recipe may be the perfect side in your holiday feast. The ingredients are onion, non-dairy milk, flour, salt, pepper, oil, green beans, oil or vegan butter, mushrooms, garlic, nutmeg, vegetable broth, and coconut milk. The dish takes about an hour to cook and is best served hot. 

The Main Course

Oh no, you’re hosting the holiday celebration for the first time, and have no idea what to do. First, take a deep breath. Here are some recipes to help make the day full of fun rather than stuffed with stress. 

Turkey can come in many shapes and sizes and can also be cooked in many ways. But, if you don’t want your turkey to look like the one served in Christmas Vacation, this recipe may help. It is called Easy, No Fuss Thanksgiving Turkey. Sounds good already, right? The ingredients needed for the turkey and the herb butter that will be spread on the turkey include onion, lemon, apple, rosemary, thyme, sage, butter, salt, pepper, garlic, and herbs. You must be dedicated, because this turkey will take nearly 4 hours to prepare and cook, but the happy looks on everyone’s faces will be worth it. 

Finally, if you aren’t a fan of turkey, this Vegan Meatloaf with Gravy recipe might be perfect for you. It requires onion, garlic, red lentils, green lentils, mushrooms, walnut pieces, flax seeds, breadcrumbs, oat, tamari, salt, pepper, dried thyme, water, nutritional yeast, arrowroot or cornstarch, and mushroom broth. The meatloaf recipe takes about an hour to complete and is sure to be a hit.

Desserts 

Finally, we’ve made it to dessert, and I’d like to make this simple. Apple Pie, Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake , and Peanut Butter Dessert Lasagna. Need I say more? Click a link, any link, because you truly cannot go wrong with any of these sweet treats. 

Holidays are a time to give thanks for all that you have and spend time with the ones you love. I hope these recipes make your holiday season that much more enjoyable. And as you prepare for a great meal, remember to help those who may be less fortunate than you. Kindness goes a long way. 

Photo courtesy of crackerbarrel.com.