Stranger Things’: Is it really worth the hype?

After its release in July of 2016, “Stranger Things” became an instant hit among Netflix watchers.

“There’s something in it for everyone,” Amy Siegel ’20, an avid fan of the show, said.

With season two’s release on Oct. 27, many fans have been quick to watch the new episodes in hopes of having their many questions about season one’s cliff hangers answered.

However, does the show really live up to all the hype?
After taking to a handful of fans as well as a handful of students that have never seen it, it’s clear that there is something about the series that draws people in and leaves them wanting more.

Right off the bat, fans and non-fans agreed that the soundtrack is a unique blend of ’80s hits, classical tunes, and good throwbacks that you listened to with your parents.

With this being said, the soundtrack not only sets the scene for the ’80s-themed fantasy series, but it develops the overall mood which continues to be selling point for viewers. Additionally, the music is also the first thing nearly every student mentioned when asked what they liked most about the series.

Aside from the acclaimed soundtrack, students also raved about the “wild plot” that continues throughout the narrative. Junior Jack Bloom, stated

“It’s really an underdog story that shows being normal is the new lame,” Jack Bloom ’19 said.

As the first season of the series follows a group of young friends and their journey to find the fourth member of their group who has gone missing, the plot takes viewers on a roller coaster of a ride, chasing after monsters, building friendships, and saving the day all one episode at a time.

Ultimately, the fresh-faced and young cast members take what some might consider to be a monster-filled fantasy show and turn it into a story about friendship and young love.

“Yes, it’s got a little bit of gore and a little bit of horror, but it’s also got a little bit of friendship and a little bit of love,” Siegel said.

With a third season already in the works, fans are excited to see where writers will take the series next and how they will answer the many questions left unanswered by the latest season.

Whether you’re a fan of sci-fi fantasy shows or not, numerous fans have shown that there truly is something in “Stranger Things” for everyone and perhaps in the end, it really is worth the endless hype.

Images courtesy of junaidrao