Liquor License Board votes unanimously to close Craig’s

In a three hour hearing on Thursday afternoon, the Baltimore City Liquor License Board voted unanimously to close Favorites Pub.

Located at 5804 York Road, Favorites is frequently visited by Loyola University Maryland students, who, affectionately, call the establishment “Craig’s.”

The hearing is the follow-up after two incidents—one on Oct. 25, 2014 and one on Dec. 12, 2014—involving underage patrons at Craig’s. The Oct. 25 investigation by Baltimore and Loyola police officers found as many as 100 underage students in the bar that night.

The incident in December involved two plainclothes, undercover officers monitoring the door from their unmarked vehicle. When they noticed four males who appeared to be underage enter the bar, the officers put on their gear, including an identifying police vest and their badges, and entered Craig’s.

At the close of the hearing, while determining the decision, Board Chairman, the Honorable Thomas Ward, said, “I’m convinced that this place is an absolute detriment to the community in every respect.” Ward also commented on how “serving alcohol is a privilege, not a right.”

Ward, along with Commissioners Harvey Jones and Dana Moore voted to close the establishment after hearing testimony from Baltimore City Police officers; Loyola Campus Police officers; Jeffery Evans, Favorites’ licensee; the owner of the property, Steven Brennan; employees of Craig’s; and community members testifying both for and against revoking the establishment’s liquor license.

After hearing extensive testimony, Ward commented that he was “totally unconvinced of the testimony of the licensee,” regarding Evans’ claims of proper practice.

Moore, during Evans’ testimony, said, “We’ve all heard of a thing called ‘CYA,'” and, she said, it didn’t appear as though the establishment or its licensee was doing all it could to have their bases covered, like only doing the bare minimum by having the ID scanner, but not providing the data recorded from the nights in question.

The verdict reached by the board was a revocation of the liquor license, effective immediately. Craig’s is still able to serve food, if they so choose.

More information to follow.