Men’s lacrosse expects successful 2017 season

2016 was about proving everyone wrong. But now, the expectations are there, and the Loyola men’s lacrosse team is ready to exceed them. 2017 is about vengeance.

During that fateful Final Four game, the Hounds essentially choked, surrendering multiple goals and the game to eventual national champion North Carolina just minutes into the first quarter.

“If you look at it from the beginning of the season to now, I don’t think anybody would have put us in the Final Four,” attackman Pat Spencer ’19 said.

Nobody expected it – perhaps not even the Hounds themselves – but they managed to pull it off. Although things have changed since Memorial Day Weekend, Loyola’s future looks brighter than ever.

• The obvious: Spencer is no longer a rookie. At the Bob Kemp Classic back in October, the sophomore actually did not score, but he did tally five assists. As Inside Lacrosse’s Christian Swezey pointed out, if lacrosse counted hockey assists, Spencer would average more points than the Loyola men’s basketball team. The incumbent Patriot League Offensive Player and Rookie of the Year was recently named as an Inside Lacrosse preseason first-team All American, and his name has already been thrown around for a Tewaaraton nomination if he continues to deliver in his sophomore year.

• The losses: The graduation of attackman Zach Herreweyers leaves a sizeable hole in the Hounds’ offensive lineup, but there is no need to worry. In addition to Herreweyers, Loyola only needs to replace two other starters. And judging by the Hounds’ performance at the Bob Kemp Classic, when 12 different players scored at least a goal each, it seems that no deficit exists.

• The newbies: Keep an eye out for Matt Higgins ’20, the short-sticked defensive midfielder who proved great on groundballs. Inside Lacrosse ranked defenseman Ryan McNulty ’20 as No. 5 on their 2016 Power 100 Freshmen Ranking. Ironically enough, sophomore transfer Alex McGovern logged time against the Hounds in the North Carolina final four game and could be a potential threat on the midfield line.

• The returners: With only one major loss throughout the entire field in Herreweyers, Loyola returns breakout goalkeeper Jacob Stover ’19, flanked by defenseman Foster Huggins ’18. With Herreweyers gone, veterans Zack Sirico ’17, Brian Sherlock ’17, Romar Dennis ’17, and Jay Drapeau ’18 can continue to build up the offensive powerhouse they’ve perfected over the past few years.

Loyola hosts Virginia in its home opener on Feb. 11, who they have faced in each season premiere for the past three years. Last year, the Hounds cruised past the Cavaliers 11-4, but with a new coaching staff fresh off a Final Four run, Virginia poses a greater threat than in years prior.