‘Hounds raise money, awareness of disaster in Philippines

Master of Ceremonies Ren Magalalag led participants in a festive session of Filipino dancing.

Music swelled from McGuire Hall on Tuesday, Dec. 3 as students, staff and visitors celebrated Filipino culture. Meanwhile people in the Philippine islands continue to rebuild their devastated land.

Loyola’s Hounds for Hope  hosted the event called “Pag-Asa” to raise money for the Philippines after Typhoon Haiyan devastated the country back in early November. The storm left thousands dead and even more displaced, hungry and sick.

Juliana Restivo, a junior and co-coordinator for Hounds for Hope, said that all the proceeds would be given to a charity providing relief services to the Philippines. The group is considering four different Filipino charities to which they will donate the proceeds. Hounds for Hope will choose one based on how much money they raised through the sale of tickets to the event, “Pag-Asa” bracelets and “Pray for the Philippines” pins.

With the purchase of a $5 ticket, each individual had the opportunity to eat traditional, homemade Filipino food, watch the many performances and participate in Filipino dances.

“I think it went better than expected,” said Restivo who was excited by both the outpour of students and staff in support as well as the well-received performances.

Hounds for Hope raised $740 in cash at the event and are still waiting to learn the total from the Evergreen swipes. Restivo said that she hopes the money will be split up between the charities.

Junior Ren Macalalag served as the master of ceremonies, showed others how to do Filipino dances and announced the many performers of the night.

Among the performers were Julian Roso, Baltimore RAW Artist 2012 winner; Celia Grace Music, Baltimore IDOL 2012 Winner; SLAM Hip Hop Dance Group; the Loyola Belles; and many Filipino students who performed traditional dances.

“It was good to get a different cultural experience,” said junior Alexis Garrett who said her favorite parts of the evening were the food, line dancing and music performances. “It was a great experience.”

“I think that’s awesome that people can pull together… that people want to help,” added Garrett

Garrett also suggested Loyola students hold fundraisers similar to Pag-Asa more periodically instead of only having a one-time event to raise even more money for the Philippines.

Hounds for Hope is a coalition of organizations at Loyola that comes together during times of international disaster. It is run by the Student Government Association (SGA) with cosponsors such as the Center for Community Service and Justice (CCSJ), Campus Ministry, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, the Asian Cultural Alliance and WLOY.

Additionally, when translated from the Filipino Tagalog language, Pag-Asa means hope.