Disney’s COCO: Remember this movie

Disneys COCO: Remember this movie

It has been a long time, but I have finally gotten myself to rent and take in the full experience that is Coco. Coco is a Pixar Animation Studios film  released by Walt Disney Pictures on November 22, 2017 and to DVD at the end of February 2018.

It’s about the journey of a young aspiring musician—Miguel—who is surrounded by a family who hates music and finds himself in the Land of the Dead during Day of the Dead to seek an ancestor who can bless his passion for music.

During the five months since Coco’s release, not only has it dominated news feeds, but it has also earned a total of eighty-eight awards from various entities—including two Oscars for best animated feature film and best achievement in music written for motion pictures, a Golden Globe for best animated motion picture and a BAFTA Award for best animated feature film. With all of the praise and excitement, it was a given that I should make time to watch the animated film.

After watching the film and listening the soundtrack multiple times, I am pleased to report that I was not disappointed. It wasn’t just a movie with a story, pretty colors, and some good music. Every piece of Coco came together to create an animated film which was able to bring life to the traditions of Day of the Dead and to transport audiences from all over the world to Miguel’s little Mexican village.

The plot was well-written and complex enough that an adult could be continuously entertained, but it was also simple enough to avoid confusion for kids of all ages. It does not focus solely on Miguel, but rather on a variety of characters – from the boy to his family to the different people he encounters along his journey.

There is even a surprising plot twist toward the end that added yet another layer to the film. Throughout the film, Mexican culture surrounding the Day of the Dead is expertly portrayed – the film pays homage while being authentic and new.  Mandalit Del Barco writes on NPR.org that Coco is meant to be a love letter to Mexico.

The art of the movie was one of a kind as well. Day of the Dead is a beautiful holiday which offers such an opportunity for colors, artistic interpretation and so on. Coco’s animation team made all the right choices as there is almost a life to all the settings and objects in addition to the characters. It was a combination of true art and animation.

The music is what really allowed Coco to catapult ahead of all other animated films and other depictions of Day of the Dead. The soundtrack for the film has 53 songs and lasts a total of 2 hours. With a plot centered around music, it was only natural for the soundtrack to be a more impactful aspect of the movie. “Remember Me,” the trademark song for the film, was the piece that earned the film one of its Oscars.

Other songs, such as “Un Poco Loco” and “La Llorona,” captivate all their listeners. Each song pulls influence from the Mexican inspiration of the film and features the right combination of Spanish and English so that anyone can listen and enjoy.

The soundtrack also features full Spanish versions of multiple songs as well as other variations – a total of nine variations for “Remember Me” appear on the soundtrack. The music was overall beautiful, and it truly pulled the film together.

Coco was a work of art – something anyone from any demographic could enjoy. I highly recommend the film for any occasion. Whether you are a fan of Disney movies or would rather watch movies which are void of musical numbers, Coco will find a place in your heart, and you will definitely remember this movie.

Feature Image: Courtesy of NPR website.