Concern over unfulfilled grad requirement grows

As the end of the semester approaches, many members of the graduating class are fearful that they will not be receiving their diplomas.

The source of the anxiety? The requirement for “Craig’s Time” under the Core Curriculum.

“Craig’s shut down without warning at the beginning of this semester,” said one senior who asked to remain anonymous. “A lot of us saved up all of our Craig’s hours to use on Taco Tuesdays and Ladies’ nights.”

The Core Curriculum is a structured supplement to students’ major and minor requirements, aiming to provide a fully-rounded education.

“Our goal with the Core is to fulfill the Jesuit ideal of ‘Cura Personalis,’ and this extends far outside the classroom,” said the Vice President for Academic Affairs. “While we know Craig’s closing affected the students second semester plans, this curriculum has been in place since their first year, so they had plenty of time to log in the required hours at the bar.”

Students who have not fulfilled the hours received an email from Academic Advising last week, notifying them of the missing credits.

“It’s outrageous,” said the student. “I planned ahead, and I should be able to enjoy my time at Craig’s just like every other Loyola graduate before me has.”