Pre-health advisor resigns

By Amber Wolfe

Contributing Writer

Dr. Levin, Loyola’s former pre-health advisor, resigned from his position in August. “It is with a heavy heart that I am informing you of my decision to resign from Loyola University,” said Dr. Levin in an email. There were differences between him and the administration and staff that could not be solved. “Despite my and many faculty supporter’s attempts to negotiate a solution, the lack of flexibility and resourcefulness of the administration has led me to this weighty decision,” Dr. Levin added.

Levin’s resignation forced the university to think quickly about what they were going to do with the Pre-Health Society and the many pre-health and pre-med students for whom Levin served as an advisor.

The issue remains too personal a matter for the administration and university to comment on.

Dean McGuiness will be serving as the pre-health advisor until a replacement for Levin is hired. She is available for walk-ins and appointments. In addition, she will be holding office hours on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Currently, Loyola is in the process of hiring an interim advisor. However, Loyola “Does not have a time frame for a hire,” according to Ryan Blake, sophomore and director of Academic Affairs for the Student Government Association, SGA. “Again, the idea is to find the best person rather than rush to find someone,” Blake said.

Blake explained that the administration remains optimistic. “Loyola is in the process of finding an adequate replacement for Dr. Levin, and I know this replacement will do a tremendous job,” he said.

Further questions about pre-health should be directed to Dean McGuiness, and students that have not received further email correspondence should contact Dean McGuiness and/or Rebecca Winkler.