Loyola’s Class of 2027 Is Already Leaving Their Mark on Campus

Read more about the record-breaking class of 2027!
Photo courtesy of Loyola University Maryland

On Aug. 31st, Loyola welcomed the Class of 2027 to campus. Members of Loyola’s faculty, staff, Evergreens, and other student volunteers prepared to welcome this unique class, who have already broken several university records well before they stepped foot on campus.

According to an article posted to Loyola’s website, the Class of 2027 is the third largest and most diverse class to enroll at Loyola, with 40% of its members identifying as people of color. 

The Class of 2027 has the highest average grade point average in Loyola’s history at 3.69. They also have the most first-generation college students, the most students who are eligible for federal Pell grants, as well as the largest group of international students Loyola has seen in over a decade.

The success of the Class of 2027 builds on the ongoing success that Loyola has seen over the past two years. Since the COVID-19 pandemic, undergraduate enrollment has increased significantly, with two of the three largest classes having enrolled within the last two years.

The increase in the size and diversity of the incoming classes can be attributed to the university’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion plan that was first implemented in 2020. This plan lays out Loyola’s intentions to create a welcoming and supportive environment for students of all backgrounds. Some of these steps include creating and reinvigorating affinity groups, as well as advocating for additional resources and funding for Disability Support Services, ALANA Services, and the Pride Resource Room.

Many freshmen have expressed their excitement about being a part of such a unique class.

“Loyola’s commitment to inclusivity and diversity aligns perfectly with the vibrant and diverse community I want to be a part of. I believe that my experience here will not only be academically enriching but also personally transformative as I learn from and alongside classmates from all walks of life,” said Destiny Garrison ‘27. 

“This class of 2027 is a wonderful melting pot of people who are from a variety of different backgrounds. It is my belief that everyone will be able to find their own place within our school community,”  said Jada Brooks ‘27.

Another phase of the plan mentions that Loyola is working towards strengthening their connections with several local high schools, such as Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, Western High School, and Cristo Rey Jesuit High school in hopes of increasing enrollment from the local Baltimore community.