SGA announces election winners

On Friday, after a three-day voting window, SGA announced the results for the election of student body president, vice president of policy, vice president of social affairs, and presidents for each class for the 2014-2015 academic year.

Cory Hodson, rising senior and global studies major, will take over as student body president after concluding his duties as vice president of policy. According to his group’s campaign website, Hodson says, “I would not run if I did not think I would do the best job in serving the student body.”

The seat of vice president of policy will be filled by Ryan Blake, class of 2016. Blake is an accounting major and currently serving as director of academic affairs.

Kelly Lussier, who says she has “had the programming bug since day one” according to the campaign website, has been elected vice president of social affairs. She has served as junior class president after returning from a semester abroad in Beijing, China

Hodson, Blake and Lussier, who beat out Paul Lozowicki, Elijah Kohli and Michael Clark, campaigned on a ticket together under the tagline “LHB: Together in Service.” The trio has seven years of SGA experience between them and wants to focus on “servant leadership,” the idea of creating leaders out of students on our campus who may not have official leadership titles.

Zachary Peters, SGA director of public relations, publicly endorsed “LHB” on the SGA Facebook page, stating that the Hodson, Blake and Lussier campaign was “clearly the only ticket offering the perfect combination of experience and passion to lead and represent the University’s most important organization.”

The group lists combining the fall concert and Midnight Madness into one event, bringing an independently organized TEDx series to Loyola, continuing to work toward student-centered safety practices on campus and a re-branding of SGA as their major goals for their time in office.

Dom Proto ran unopposed for the seat of class of 2015 president. Proto is a member of the SGA Assembly and previously held the position of director of public relations. Peters also endorsed Proto, citing “his depth of experience in various roles, as well as his creativity in planning events” as reason to give Proto the vote.

Moira Pannepacker and Dan Gates will serve as co-presidents of the class of 2016. Pannepacker has spent this year as the director of programming, while the election marks Gates’ first position with SGA. Their campaign platform stated that the duo “strive to cultivate a government that is honest, responsive and most importantly, transparent,” allowing them to emerge triumphant over the ticket of Jacquelyn Hardenburgh and Derek Anderson.

Drew Bassini was re-elected to continue his service as president of the class of 2017.