ASU celebrating history of African diaspora

The African Student Union (ASU) is one of Loyola’s major clubs exemplifying the cultural richness and diversity here at Loyola. The African Student Union has been setting up events to celebrate the African Diaspora, which refers to Africans who emigrated from the continent to other countries and areas around the world. Most Africans moved to America, Europe and the Middle East, where they faced many challenges as they adjusted to living in a new community where people spoke a different language and held many different customs

Akosua Serwaa Mensah, president of the ASU, said, “Because a substantial percentage of Loyola’s Black student population are first generation Americans, the ASU aims to create a home away from home. Therefore, we strive to create a community where African Loyola students will create strong friendships and comfortably adjust to the college lifestyle.”

The African Student Union also hopes to reach Loyola students who are not of African ethnicity, increasing their knowledge of African culture while also educating them on the African Diaspora.

“We aspire to serve the intellectual and cultural curiosity of Loyola students. Many students are interested in expanding their [economic, political and cultural] knowledge about Africa,” said Mensah. “We also provide answers to questions from students interested in the Ghana study abroad program. Essentially, we welcome Loyola students with open arms.”

Mensah, along with the rest of the club, diligently worked to set up several events they thought Loyola students would enjoy. Many posters of these events have been scattered across campus. Each event, whether the Nelson Mandela Candlelight Vigil or WAZOBIA, promises to entertain and inspire Loyola’s student body. Mensah explained the union’s main goal, saying, “We just hope to successfully celebrate Africa at Loyola! Come join us.”