ALANA welcomes all Loyola students to immerse themselves in different cultures

On Oct. 4, ALANA held their annual Open House on the third floor of the Student Center in the Center for Intercultural Engagement. They provided light refreshments and comfortable space for students to meet fellow students and staff. During the Open House, the Staff discussed many of the services that they offer throughout the year.

ALANA Services is a department dedicated to the inclusion and intersectionality of students from a diverse background. They have different clubs dedicated to the exploration of student’s identity: BSA (Black Student Association), ASA (African Student Association), CSU (Caribbean Student Union), ACA (Asian Cultural Alliance), ALAS (Association of Latin American & Spanish students), NASA (Native American Student Association), and DPE (Diversity Peer Educators). These clubs discuss and educate students about their native cultures. The club meetings are inclusive and open to everyone regardless of their race—any student can attend a session and learn about a culture different from their own. For more information about these organizations, please visit the Loyola ALANA Services webpage.   

Each club hosts general body meetings (GBMs) to discuss different topics about the culture they represent. Also, for heritage months, the organizations host a big event where the various cultures come together with food and entertainment to showcase the roots of their culture. Their next event is Latin Fest on Oct. 12.

In addition to these services, ALANA offers MAN2MAN and Sister to Sister. These two groups are open gender-based bi-weekly groups where students and faculty members come together to talk about issues surrounding this topic. Some areas of discussion include identity, sisterhood and brotherhood, and academic topics. These discussions allow students and faculty members to bond and reflect on their similar ideas and values.MAN2MAN meets bi-weekly throughout the year, and Sister to Sister meets Oct. 31, Nov. 14, and Nov. 28.  

While ALANA is dedicated to helping students of color, they are dedicated to make everyone feel welcomed and informed. No matter your race or background, come to ALANA to become a more well-rounded and cultured person. Anyone interested in getting involved with ALANA services can contact the office at 410-617-2310 or visit their webpage.