Chill Fall Playlist

Daniele Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

Whether you’re suffering through midterms or just want to relax in bed with a hot cup of tea and dream about a time when you were young and carefree, this fall playlist can help alleviate some of your stress and put you in the perfect fall mindset. I’l

l be the first to admit that a lot of the songs on this list are a bit romantic, but you can’t deny that there’s something special about autumn.

1. Cherry Wine – Hozier

This song makes me want to sit in front of a warm fireplace while drinking a glass of red wine, and I don’t even like red wine.

Brendan T Lynch Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

Hozier’s voice is hypnotizing and warm, making it ideal “stay in and chill” music.

1. Ends of the Earth – Lord Huron

Hearing this song makes me want to get up and travel more than anything else. If you ever find yourself taking a drive this fall down a long, winding road lined by orange and red-leaved trees, plug in that aux cord and blast this one.

1. Move Together – James Bay

James Bay’s voice is one filled with passion and longing, especially in his more stripped-down, mellow songs like this one. If you aren’t in love with him by the time you finish listening to one of his songs, just remember: he’s British.

1. To Whom It May Concern – The Civil Wars

I’ll admit I’m not even remotely a country music fan, but the moment I first heard a song by The Civil Wars, I was sold. There’s something about the folky sound of this duo that really gets you, from their harmonic voices to the simple guitar and violin accompaniment.

1. Down In The Valley – The Head And The Heart

This is another country-esque jam with plenty of guitar strumming and violins. I’m pretty sure the northwestern members of The Head And The Heart never sang about any kind of northeastern autumn, but that doesn’t mean we can’t give them credit for providing us with some great tunes.

1. The Girl – City and Colour

I don’t know what it is, but something about the lead singer of City and Colour’s voice just fits into fall for me. Also, I
basically envision a sickeningly cute first date montage occurring with this song in the background. I’m a mush, sue me.

1. Ill Be Good – Jaymes Young

This song popped up on my Spotify radio one day and I found myself repeatedly coming back to it. It has a nice, steady beat

Neon Tommy Photo, Courtesy of Flickr
Neon Tommy Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

and Young’s voice isn’t too shabby either.

1. Im Gonna Be (500 Miles) – Blake Stratton

If you’re like me and have an unhealthy obsession with “How I Met Your Mother,” then this song will be very familiar to you. Blake Stratton’s version, however, removes the goofy sounds of The Proclaimers and transforms this guilty pleasure song into a soothing one that really makes it sound like this man would walk 500 miles for the love of his life.

1. High Hopes – Kodaline

Putting aside my bias towards Kodaline (I’m only slightly in love), the band really has the ability to put you in a calming mood. Their music is slow, but not too slow, and has just the right amount of oohing. It will give you high hopes that you’re going to ace that midterm.

1. All I Want – Cover by Emma Bale

“All I Want” is a fairly depressing song, I’m not even going to try to deny it. That doesn’t mean it isn’t also a beautiful one, made even more beautiful by Emma Bale. Lots of fall feels coming from this one.

1. Delicate – Damien Rice

Another song with a lot of passion, especially seen in the way it progresses from a quiet, slow jam to a more dramatic ballad. The song begins and ends the same way: delicate, just like the crisp leaves piled along sidewalks in the cold fall months.

1. Open Season – High Highs

If you’ve seen Pitch Perfect, this song may sound familiar as one of the only songs in the movie that isn’t sung a capella. With a sound resembling that of artists like Iron & Wine or The Shins, “Open Season” is a peppier, more upbeat alternative to some of the more somber songs on this list.

Feature Image: Daniele Photo, Courtesy of Flickr, URL