Scorpions: Return to Forever

Scorpions are a German rock band from Hannover, Germany, who formed in 1965. Throughout their long and legendary history, Scorpions gained major success from their heavy metal and rock ballad song styles. Some of their biggest hits include “Rock You Like a Hurricane,” “Still Loving You” and “No One Like You.” The band members have changed throughout the years, but three have been members since the ‘70s: Rudolf Schenker (guitar/ vocals), Klaus Meine (lead vocals), Matthias Jabs (guitar), and the newest members James Kottak (drums/percussion), and Pawel Maciwoda (bass).

The band has many accolades to their name, such as having a permanent exhibit in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Ohio and a star on the Hollywood Rock Wall. This year, Scorpions celebrate their 50th anniversary in the music industry, an achievement that the majority of bands will never reach.

“Return to Forever” is the band’s 18th studio album, and was released on February 20, 2015. Scorpions spent three years recording the album, starting1280x720 in 2011 and finishing in 2014. It is approximately 48 minutes in length and contains 12 songs (16 on the deluxe album). The album features two singles, “We Built This House” and “Eye of the Storm.” The first is a new song that is about Scorpion’s illustrious career and the latter is written for a previous album that did not make the final cut. The album is composed of the styles that made Scorpions popular to begin with. There is a fine balance between melodic rock ballads and full on hard rock ‘n’ roll. Many of the tracks encompass a mix of clean guitar, soulful vocals and deep lyrics, which transition into a loud, full chorus. There are many guitar riffs and licks throughout the verses, usually harmonizing together. The guitar solos are loud and full of long fast lines and blazing fast notes. The album is definitely fun and easy to listen to, and encompasses the many styles that Scorpions made popular.

“Return to Forever” has reached number two on Germany’s Offizielle Top 100 and Swiss Albums, number five on Greek and French Albums, and 65th on U.S. Billboard 200. “We Built this House” reached top 10 U.S. classic rock radio.

It is a successful album that encompasses everything that Scorpions have done throughout their legendary careers. Even after 50 years, Scorpions are still rocking and doing what they love.