Album Review: Motörhead’s Bad Magic

Motorhead_Robert_JohnMotörhead is a British rock band from London, England, that was formed in 1975 by long-time member Ian “Lemmy” Kilmister. Lemmy, the lead vocalist, bassist, and main songwriter, is the longest-remaining member of the band. The current lineup consists of Phil “Wizzo” Campbell (guitarist, piano) and Mikkey Dee (drums). Over the span of 40 years, Motörhead has released 22 studio albums, as well as many other live albums, compilations and EPs. The band is iconic for usually having only three members, which is unique because most heavy metal bands have many musicians, especially guitarists. In the ‘80s, Motörhead experienced a great deal of success due to hit songs, such as “Ace of Spades,” . The band is also iconic because of Lemmy’s unique voice and vocal style that sets him apart from other artists. Motörhead has been ranked 26th on VH1’s “100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock.”

Motörhead released its 22nd studio album Bad Magic on August 28. The album features 13 songs and lasts for about 43 minutes. Every song is fast, upbeat, and heavy. There are only a few instances where the intensity of the song cools to a mellower mood, which for Motörhead is still heavier than most rock songs. “Till the End,” the only rock ballad on the album, is not like traditional ballads, rather it’s as heavy as the other songs on the album, with the lyrics and overall feel exemplifying the moods of a ballad.1184696

Motörhead’s style hasn’t changed too dramatically throughout its history, mostly sticking to thrash metal and hard rock. This album exemplifies everything that Motörhead has done in its 40-year history. Though,unlike the majority of albums, the band did not release any singles. Most artists release singles to build hype for an album or bring popularity to their name. However, after 40 years, Motörhead does not need to reach out for fans — the band is already one of the most well known bands in the industry. The most recognizable song on the album is track 13, “Sympathy for the Devil,” which is a cover of the Rolling Stones’ hit song. The band keeps the feeling and emotion originally displayed by the Rolling Stones, yet adds its distinct sound.

Since its late August release, the album has landed on many music charts across the world. It placed number one on Germany’s “Offizielle Top 100,” number four on Sweden’s “Sverigetopplistan,” and number seven in Dutch’s “MegaCharts,” just to name a few.

Although the album is not groundbreaking, it is a classic, hard rock album that any old-school rocker would enjoy listening to.