Evolution of Britney

I will admit here without shame that I have always been a Britney Spears fan.  This dates back to the late ‘90s, early 2000s when there was the divide between Britney and Christina Aguilera fans—sorry to all you Jessica Simpson and Mandy Moore fans but they were not really at the same level. I chose Britney back in 1999 when I was in second grade and have never looked back. True she has had her problems over the years, the reality show, shaving her head and her many poor romantic choices all come to mind, but I always knew she would power through all that to become a better, stronger Britney. As she prepares to release her eighth album and join the ranks of Tom Jones and Cher with a Las Vegas show, I feel now is the time to reflect on the life and times of one Miss Britney Jean Spears and to review how she went from the princess of pop to a Vegas headliner.

Spears herself acknowledged her evolution on her Instagram by posting an album recipe for her eighth album. This recipe showed a composite photo of Spears from all her former album covers along with a line from each of her past albums (disregarding the greatest hit compilations) as the ingredients. But what does each ingredient represent?

Sweet … “Baby”- Baby One More Time (1999)- This was the album that introduced sixteen- year-old Britney to the world. Fans still show up to her concerts in the iconic schoolgirl outfit from the video. Spears was only sixteen at the release and seen as a role model for young girls due to her bubble gum pop image with just enough edge to keep her interesting.

(Singles- “Baby One More Time,” “Sometimes” and “(You Drive Me) Crazy”)

Not that innocent “Oops!”- Oops I Did It Again! (2000)-This album brought us a sexier Britney with heavy teen pop influences and includes a memorable video with her appearing as queen of Mars in a red catsuit and a reference to Titanic at the end that you either love or hate.

(Singles-“Oops I Did It Again,” “Lucky” and “Stronger”)

Self-confidant “Britney”-Britney (2001)-This album brought with it one of her most memorable VMA performances, one I remember being allowed to stay up late to watch. She performed with a live snake amongst other animals to “I’m a Slave 4 U.”  It was meant to have a funkier, more adult sound, but it did still incorporate her pop roots.

(Singles-“I’m a Slave 4 U,” “I’m Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman” and “Overprotected”)

Damn hot “Zone”- Into the Zone (2003)- This album veered away from pop in favor of dance, hip hop and house music beats. It featured Toxic, a song made for the clubs and even won a Grammy for Best Dance Recording. This album chronicles her transition from a teen pop princess to a more mature recording artist.

(Singles-“Me Against the Music,” “Toxic” and “Everytime”)

Club-smashing “Blackout”- Blackout (2007)- Motherhood, multiple divorces and that unfortunate head shaving incident took up several years of Spears’ time but despite her personal struggles, she still managed to release a darker, more urban album which debuted at number one proving people were rooting for her. “Give Me More” brought us one of the most echoed lines of a Spears song and was quoted in the Glee themed Britney episodes. Iit’s Britney, b***h” sums up Spears’ entire attitude on her career. She is here, take her or leave but do not attempt to ignore her.

(Singles-“Give Me More” and “Piece of Me”)

Personal “Circus”- Circus (2008)- This album blended the two staples of her career, pop and dance pop.  The fast beats made it a club favorite, not to mention a great song to sing along to in your car with your friends or just by yourself.

(Singles- “Womanizer,” “Circus” and “If U Seek Amy”)

And … powerful “Femme Fatale”- Femme Fatale (2011)- This dance album incorporated techno, dubstep and trance styles. It still proves to be a club staple but is a seen as a classier version of Blackout. 

(Singles-“Hold It Against Me,” “Till The World Ends” and “I Wanna Go”)

Keeping in mind all of these ingredients, Spears wrote, “Mix it all together in a vanilla-smelling studio. Pour some B-love into it. Stir it carefully with a producer’s spoon until combined. Wait about a year.”  She then wrote,”Pour the mixture into CD cases and cover the top with ‘bonuses’ stickers.” This album will be released December 3, 2013. The first track, “Work It B*#$h” was just released last week. The song promotes working hard for anything one wants in life and is a dance-pop track.

Spears also announced last week that beginning on December 27, 2013, she will be performing a residency show with Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino in Las Vegas. The show called “Britney, A Piece of Me” will include her old hits, maybe even some of the ones mentioned above with new hits. It will run for 100 shows, 50 in 2014 and 50 in 2015.

Britney Spears may not be as vocally strong as other singers but she knows how to churn out the hits and I predict her Vegas show will be a success. I know the words to more of her songs than I probably want to admit and I am happy for her success. She will always be my favorite pop star of my childhood and maybe someday I will even get to see her in concert. No matter how much she publicly stumbles, I will always root for her. If not for the twenty-one year old version of me, then for the nine year old version of me.