Concerts you can’t miss in Baltimore this season

There’s nothing I enjoy quite as much as going to concerts, especially in the Baltimore area. In Baltimore, we’re fortunate enough to have countless venues and concerts happening almost every week. Concerts allow you to shut off your mind, if only for a few hours, and experience music deep down to your bones. Concerts are my personal escape from the stress of schoolwork and everyday life, and I highly recommend you try to experience this form of relaxation, too. Here are a few I can’t wait to see this fall, all at student-friendly prices and just short cab rides from campus:

The Kooks at Rams Head Live

Wednesday, October 8th

Showtime: 8 p.m.

$25

With classics like “Naïve” and “She Moves In Her Own Way,” The Kooks have been a staple on my iPod since 2006. Fresh off the release of their new album, Listen, the British band is on tour again. Their blending of pop and rock is sure to please any music lover. In their new album, they include a little electronic influence, something completely different than their past albums. Their new music is refreshing and unique, and their concert is sure to be a great time.

Phantogram at Rams Head Live

Friday, October 17th

Showtime: 8 p.m.

$25

I first fell in love with their song “When I’m Small,” off their debut album, and I’ve been a fan ever since. Sometimes described as “psychedelic,” they perfectly meld together electronica and little bit of rock and hip-hop in their music. Accompanied with their wispy female vocals, listening to Phantogram’s music is a dreamy escape from reality. This concert will be the perfect getaway for a few hours.

Walk the Moon at Ottobar

Thursday, October 30th

Showtime: 8 p.m.

$20

This indie rock band is quirky and so much fun. If you’re looking to simply have fun and not worry about anything, this is the concert for you. Take their new single, “Shut Up and Dance,” released just this month, for example. With just one album and one LP, you can easily get acquainted with the band before you go: you’ll definitely be dancing and singing along at their show.

Bleachers with Wild Cub at Baltimore Soundstage

Saturday, November 22nd

Showtime: 8 p.m.

$22

Jack Antonoff of Fun recently started a side project called Bleachers, who had arguably one of the biggest hits of the summer with their track “I Wanna Get Better.” Their debut album, released this year, reminds me of a soundtrack to an ‘80s romantic comedy in the best possible way. Their emotion-filled pop rock blend is sure to make for an amazing concert. I’m also excited for the opening band, Wild Cub; their debut album was released this year as well. My favorite of their songs, “Thunder Clatter,” is a perfect example of their unique electric pop sound. Together, Bleachers and Wild Cub are going to create a very memorable live experience.

These shows are a great excuse to get off campus and see an old favorite—or perhaps experience something new. With all the shows located within an 8-mile radius and tickets just over $20, there’s really no excuse not to go. Grab a friend, go online and get your tickets.