Are You Ready For It: Women’s Lacrosse Beats Navy in High-Scoring Matchup

Larry French

The Greyhounds were able to retrieve another victory against the Navy Midshipmen on March 20. This game ended with the score of 17-12 and added another win to their streak. They so far have a 3-0 win streak in their conference and are currently 8-0 overall.

The first half was used to help bolster their lead on the Midshipmen and garner a score of 13-5. Sydni Black ‘24 was able to score the first goal of the game at 12:12 and started to give the team momentum. She was then able to score another seven points, which tied a career-high. After Navy’s first goal, Chase Boyle ‘25 and Georgia Latch ‘25 were both able to score goals. 

Spectator Mimi Walker ‘27 said, “There was great energy throughout the whole game and it was nice to see so many people support the team.” 

In the second quarter of the first half, the Greyhounds were able to score four consecutive goals without interference of the Midshipmen. Graduate student Catie Corolla was able to score two goals at 13:30 and 12:15. Then, graduate student Anna Ruby scored another one at 9:55 and Boyle topped the final goal off at 7:44. 

To add to the match, the Loyola Swiftie Society held a Taylor Swift themed game. They had a bracelet-making station before the game where fans were able to jam out to her music before the match started. Taylor Swift inspired shirts were also given out at the door. During the breaks of the quarter, Swift trivia and music were heard throughout Ridley. 

Spectator Ava Vukovich ‘27 said, “The shirts were adorable and the events they held were so much fun.” 

Not only did Vukovich enjoy the activities but hearing Swift’s music only added to the atmosphere that night.   

She said, “The game was really high-energy and I loved how I was able to hear Taylor Swift’s music throughout the game.”

Besides Vukovich, spectator Sofia Viganola ‘27 also appreciated this change. 

“You would never really expect a crossover between Women’s Lacrosse and Taylor Swift. It was nice to see teams do something different to involve their fans.” 

In the other half, Navy was able to fight back by scoring three consecutive goals before that was interrupted by Boyle’s goal at 2:10 in the third quarter. Throughout the last two quarters, the teams traded off in scoring, but the Greyhounds headed into the fourth with 15-9 on the Midshipmen. 

The last quarter started with Navy scoring a player-up goal, but that was responded to by the Greyhounds scoring two player-up goals by Latch and Elisa Faklaris ‘26. During the last five minutes, Navy scored two more goals, but the Greyhounds were able to hold onto their five-goal lead to end with a win. 

Heading into the anticipated game, both teams were top-five ranked in draw control percentage. The Greyhounds were able to win the draws by 19-13, with Boyle garnering 12 for the Greyhounds. 

Black’s game-high eight points were not too far ahead of Latch scoring seven, with three goals and four assists. Lauren Spence ‘25 had a season-high nine saves with one ground ball. The team had a total of 33 shots and 13 turnovers. 

The Greyhounds host their next home game against Colgate at 12 p.m. on Saturday, March 30.