The Rivalry: The Battle of Charles Street

Loyola University Maryland Website, History and Traditions section

This is the big one. Two rivals, geographically separated by a mile. The Battle of Charles Street: Loyola versus Hopkins. The 60th installment of this rivalry takes place on Feb. 17, at Johns Hopkins. Even though Hopkins has an overwhelming record against us at 49-10, the past few years have been different. The tides have shifted, with the Greyhounds taking victories in three of the last four meetings between our cross-town rivals. After a disappointing loss to Maryland, the Greyhounds are looking to bounce back on the road again.  

In an interview with Head Coach Charley Toomey, he described the rivalry as a cross-town massacre, with Loyola only getting their first win over the Blue Jays in 1994 with a score of 17-15. Hopkins opens their season as the No. 6 ranked team in the nation according to the USA Lacrosse magazine. Even though they have dominated this rivalry, the Greyhounds have taken seven of the last nine games and a commanding victory over the Blue Jays last year with a score of 13-8.

Evan James ‘24 said, “The game is definitely circled on the calendar.”

Adam Poitras ‘24 said, “There might be a little bit of disrespect, but we are pumped to play them.” 

Poitras was drafted second overall this past fall for the National Lacrosse League, NLL, where James was named preseason All-Patriot League team.

Toomey said, “Nothing gets me going more than seeing a flood of green walking through that opposite gate. It feels like a home game for us.”

Toomey is optimistic for this team, hoping to get back to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2021.

“There was a team that was ranked preseason No. 23 that won a national championship, and that was us in 2012, it can be done, and nobody is more excited to get this thing started than we are,” he said. 

The Hounds must pertain to business in the Patriot League, which has Boston University and Army. They have a lot to prove this year, but there is excitement in their locker room. Not only going into the Hopkins game, but this year they have been written off. They are playing with a chip on their shoulder, and looking to get back to that elite level they were at when they won the National Title in 2012. Toomey believes his team can do that, and is looking forward to the challenge this new year possesses with their rigorous schedule.

There is a lot to look forward to this year as a Greyhound fan. The team is showing a ton of promise in their first game against Georgetown, and will be coming off a disrespectful loss. Bouncing back on the road is not an easy task, but this is one that the Hounds are up for. Although they are on the road facing a top-ranked team, it will feel like a home game given the proximity of the two schools. Buckle up, it’s going to be a good one.