Patriots End Chiefs’ Streak

The New England Patriots (4-2) ended the Kansas City Chiefs’ (5-1) five game winning streak, handing them their first loss of the season at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass. this past Sunday evening, Oct. 14.

With emerging quarterback Patrick Mahomes, the Chiefs had been rolling over their opponents every week, while the Patriots were beginning to look like their usual selves again. This was the game of the week, and it certainly did not disappoint.

The Chiefs rallied from a 24-9 deficit at halftime, tying the game in the last two minutes of the game. However, with three minutes remaining, Tom Brady, as he has done for the past 19 seasons, drove the offense upfield, leading Stephen Gostkowski to convert a field goal, giving them the win.

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes threw 352 passing yards with four touchdowns and two interceptions. Lightning fast Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill caught seven passes for 142 yards, catching three touchdowns as well.

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady threw 340 yards with a touchdown. Patriots rookie running back Sony Michel had 24 carries for 106 yards and two touchdowns.

After the game, Patrick Mahomes discussed with reporters his thoughts about the game.

“First off, you’re playing a great opponent in a great atmosphere and so just to be able to go against the best [. . .] I’m just proud of my team and how we fought to get back in the game,” Mahomes said. Mahomes also talked about what it was like to play against Brady.

“I have the ultimate respect for Tom and everything that he did this game and his whole entire career. He’s had success in this league because he’s won games with last-minute drives like that,” he said.

Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images