Career High from Izzy Therein Not Enough to Lift Loyola Past Bucknell

Freshman forward Izzy Therein scored a career high 26 points, shot 11-23 shooting and grabbed 6 rebounds Wednesday night against Bucknell. However, the effort was not enough as Bucknell bested the Greyhounds at Reitz Arena by a score of 74-69. Guard Stephanie Karcz matched Therein’s stat line as well, scoring 26 points and grabbing 6 rebounds.

Loyola and Bucknell were closely matched for the first few minutes of the game. The Greyhounds were able to match Bucknell’s intensity, and finished the first quarter strong. The Hounds started on top with a score of 22-13 against the Bison. Guard Alexis Grey chipped in with a couple buckets, and they finished the game with 10 rebounds and 3 assists.

In the second quarter, the Greyhounds went on a late run to take its largest lead of the game. Therein ended the quarter on a buzzer-beater from one of her favorite spots on the court, as the Greyhounds went up 40-26.

However, this game proved to be a tale of two halves. From the start of the third quarter, the Bison’s were on the attack. They went on multiple quick runs and slowly chipped away at the lead. Forward Kaitlyn Slagus contributed to 22 points as she was the highest scorer on the Bucknell team.

The Greyhounds found it more difficult to score in the third quarter, but still lead 52-48 by the time the quarter ended.

In the fourth quarter, Bucknell evened the score and then took the lead. Bucknell guard Kyi English found herself in a rhythm and scored a couple of clutch baskets to keep their lead. English finished with 17 points. Loyola was unable to fully secure the lead back, as they lost 74-69.

*Photo courtesy of loyolagreyhounds.com*