Women’s basketball’s first triple-double lifts Loyola past Colgate

Women’s basketball guard Stephanie Karcz ’20 recorded the program’s first-ever triple-double in Jan. 21’s tilt against Colgate. Karcz tallied 14 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 assists, and lifted Loyola past Colgate in a dominating 70-55 win.

Forward Ashley Hunter ’19 posted a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds. Not to be outdone, guard Alexis Gray ’20 also had a record game. Hunter hit the most three pointers in a game in school history with seven. Other notable efforts include forward Izzy Therein ’21 who posted 16 points.

In the first quarter, Loyola outscored Colgate 22-9. However, Colgate went on a run in the second quarter to close the half. Gray’s consistent three-pointers and Karcz’s aggression on both sides of the court finish the half at a 36-27 lead.

To start the third quarter, Colgate went on another run to cut the lead to 37-31, but Hunter and Gray caught fire and built the lead up tp 47-33. After that, the Greyhounds coasted and lead by up to 20 points as Karcz and her active hands, defensive awareness, and bully-ball on the offensive side lead Loyola to stretch its lead throughout the game. She was aggressive and proved to be too much for the defense to handle as she continuously put her head down and drove to the basket. Her efforts along with the team ended any run Colgate put together to win the game.

* Photo courtesy of loyolagreyhounds.com *