Loyola Women’s Basketball Tops Cornell in Season Opener

The Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball team opened the season on a high note with a 78-63 victory over Cornell University. The win was highlighted by a dominant performance from sophomore forward Stephanie Karcz as she erupted for a career high 25 points.

Loyola pulled away early, as Karcz’s presence was felt on both sides of the court. Her active hands and defensive awareness led to 5 steals and 1 block. As a team, the Greyhounds tallied 16 steals and forced 28 turnovers. Offensively, Karcz was locked in, shooting 11-13 from the field and dishing out 4 assists.

Quick, smart, and unselfish passes by senior guard Bri-Betz White (who was named as a preseason All-Patriot League selection) extended the led as her 13 points and 6 assists propelled the Greyhounds to 44-31 lead by the half. White was recently recognized for becoming the 21st player in school history to score and reach 1,000 career points before her senior season.

By the third quarter, the Greyhounds erupted for 30 points, breaking the school record of most points in a period (previously 24). They led by as many as 29 points and after three quarters, and shot 71% from the field. The club was up 74-47 by the end of the third quarter. Freshman Izzy Therien played an excellent game, scoring 18 points. According to loyolagreyhounds.com, Therein’s 18 points “were the most points ever scored by a freshman in her first game under the Logan era.”

With an immense lead, Loyola coach Joe Logan emptied his bench and rested the starters. This led to Cornell outscoring the Greyhounds 16-4 to cut the deficit to 78-63.

Loyola’s next game tips off Tuesday, November 14 when the Greyhounds host George Mason University at 7:00 p.m.

*Photo courtesy of loyolagreyhounds.com*