Loyola climbs for a good cause

For the 11th consecutive year the Fitness and Aquatic Center at Loyola University will host the kick-off to “The Ascent,” the Mid-Atlantic Collegiate Climbing Series. The event is a rock climbing competition with competitors from schools all over the mid-Atlantic region. The competition takes place Sunday, November 24th from 11:00 to 7:00 at the Fitness and Aquatic Center. Registration is $25 and includes a free t-shirt while supplies last. DSC_0491

All proceeds from this years event will support Soccer Without Borders, an organization that provides recreational activities to underprivileged children in the US and abroad. Primarily operating in North American, Central America and Africa, Soccer Without Borders’ mission is to help children learn skills to overcome obstacles to growth, inclusion and personal success.

Registration starts at 11 AM on the 24th and climbing begins at noon. Climbers who qualify for the finals will participate in a progressive climb off to determine a winner from each division. A progressive climb means each climb gets progressively difficult until there is, in effect, a last man standing.

The breakdown of divisions is easy, intermediate and advanced, varying with the difficulty of each climb. Men and women compete in separate divisions. Each division has ten to fifteen different climbs to choose from, climbers lose points for each time they fall from the wall. Climbers take their top four scores and submit them at the end of the preliminaries.

Rock wall Attendant Sarah Gervasi says that over fifty climbers are expected to compete in the event. Top finishers are eligible for prizes donated by sponsors such as REI, Mammut, Earth Treks, Asana, and more.

Climbers can also attend events at other locations in Maryland and Pennsylvania, participating in three out of five competitions qualifies your score for the series. Last year, current Loyola senior Brian Grimes won the overall competition in the advanced division based on his cumulative score in multiple events.

Loyola has participated in the Mid Atlantic Collegiate Climbing Series for the past eleven years as a way to introduce more people to the sport of climbing, foster physical education and bring together students from many different universities who share a love for climbing.

“The competition is a great way to meet people from other schools who really enjoy the sport, it’s a lot of fun,” said Gervasi.

No experience is necessary to participate; the event features all levels of climbers from beginners to advanced. Whether you’re an avid climber, simply interested in trying something new or just want to help out a good cause, this event is the place to be.

To register you must bring your current student ID. For more information stop by Basecamp at the FAC, call 410-617-5437 or [email protected].