Women’s soccer falls to Lehigh on the road 2-1

Despite outshooting their opponent 17-16, the Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team dropped another close game Saturday night, falling 2-1 to Lehigh University at the Ulrich Sports Complex.

The 17 shots were a season-high for the Greyhounds, who fell to 1-9-3, (0-4-1 Patriot League) with the loss. This was the eighth game this season decided by one goal, including the Greyhounds’ seventh one goal loss.

Lehigh 3-7-2, (1-4 Patriot League) got their first goal of the night in the ninth minute off a corner kick that ended up at the feet of Danielle Salans. Salans then struck the ball into the top right corner of the goal to make the score 1-0 Mountain Hawks.

Loyola’s first of many opportunities to score came in the 24th minute on a strike by senior, Melissa Lookingland, that was unable to get past Lehigh goalkeeper, Ashley Blanks. Three minutes later, the Greyhounds continued to attack the goal as sophomore Rosy Hayes took her first shot attempt of the night, but was again denied by Blanks. Senior Chantal Celestin then followed up with a shot that sailed just over the crossbar.

The first half concluded with both teams recording six shots, but Lehigh leading 1-0.

The Greyhounds came out firing early in the second half with a quick shot attempt by sophomore, Charlotte Miller, but Blanks was again there for the save. Rookie, Maddie Boccio also got in on the action with a header attempt that was saved. Lehigh would extend their lead to 2-0 on a penalty kick by Murphee Greeley in the 65th minute.

After creating two more opportunities on the offensive end, Miller would score the lone goal for the Greyhounds in the 78th minute. Assisted by Lookingland, the shot made it just over the head of Blanks, leading to the final score of 2-1 Mountain Hawks.

Greyhound goalkeeper, Didi Haracic kept the game within one, making the final save of the game, but Loyola could not find the equalizer. Haracic played the full 90 minutes and finished with three saves on the night.

Next weekend, the Greyhounds will finish their two game road trip in Massachusetts, taking on Boston University on Saturday, October 19, at 2 p.m.