Penalty kick lifts Army over men’s soccer 1-0

The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team lost another heartbreaker Saturday night at Ridley Athletic Complex, falling to the Army Black Knights, 1-0, on a first-half penalty kick.

The Greyhounds 5-5-2, (0-3-1 Patriot League) had numerous scoring opportunities, particularly in the first half, but were unable to crack the scoreboard against the Patriot League-leading Black Knights 9-1-1, (4-0-0 Patriot League).

Loyola’s best scoring opportunity came early in the game, during the 27th minute of play. Junior Joseph Cahalan started the rally by stealing an Army pass from the left side and playing it to sophomore Larry Ndjock. Ndjock tapped the ball toward the center of the field where senior Diego McQuestion drilled a left-footed blast toward the goal that deflected off the far right post. The ball deflected back out and sophomore Dominic Marshall made the quick rebound and fired a follow-up shot from 18 yards out, but Army’s Trase Stapley was able to block Marshall’s shot.

The Hounds had another chance to score in the very next minute, when junior Connor Thompson played the ball to senior Stephen Dooley, but the senior’s shot missed just wide right.

Loyola was able to get two more shots off in the first half. Marshall had a shot saved by Army goalkeeper Winston Boldt in the 30th minute, and Dooley had another shot miss wide in the 35th minute.

One minute after Dooley’s miss, Loyola was called for a foul in the box, setting up a penalty kick for Army’s Tanner Vosvick. Senior goalkeeper Zach Kane guessed right on the shot, but the ball nonetheless sailed just past his outstretched fingers for the goal, giving the Black Knights a 1-0 lead.

Both teams were held without a shot for the remainder of the first half after the penalty kick goal. The Greyhounds’ next shot did not come until the 67th minute, when senior Jamie Libby’s header missed high of the goal.

Meanwhile, the Black Knights provided most of the second half pressure. Cody Guerry and Joseph Chabries both had shots blocked by Loyola defenders in the 52nd and 58th minutes, respectively. Kane then came up with two critical saves in the 59th and 60th minutes, when the senior stopped a pair of shots by Guerry and Justin Kim.

Loyola’s next opportunity came in the 73rd minute of play. Freshman Ryan Tuck attempted a header toward the goal, but Boldt was there to deflect the ball over the crossbar.

In the 74th minute, Marshall had a shot blocked, setting up four consecutive corner kicks for the Greyhounds; two from Marshall, and two from freshman Laurin Vogel. However, the Greyhounds came up empty after the four corner kicks.

Clinging to a 1-0 lead, the Black Knights were only able to get three shots off in the game’s final 30 minutes. Sean Mogan had a shot blocked in the 75th minute, but a minute later, Mogan was almost able to pad Army’s lead, but his second shot attempt sailed wide left of the goal. Army’s final threat came in the 78th minute, when Stapley’s shot sailed high of the crossbar.

The Greyhounds had a last-ditch effort at the end of the contest, reeling off four shots in the game’s final four minutes. Boldt was able to save a header by Thompson in the 87th minute, and he was there to stop another shot by Thompson in the 88th minute, setting up another corner kick. Kane got a head on the corner from Marshall, but the shot sailed high.

Ndjock, who leads the Patriot League with eight goals, attempted the final shot of the evening from the far right side, but the ball sailed past the front of the goal, and the Hounds ran out of time.

“I thought we were unlucky tonight; I thought the effort was good, and we were very unlucky not to get a goal tonight,” said Loyola head coach Mark Mettrick. “I’m glad to see tonight that we were creating some very good chances, and hopefully we continue to do that, and obviously some of them are going to go in.”

Despite the loss, the Greyhounds were able to outshoot the Black Knights, 14-11. Kane made two saves for Loyola, and Boldt stopped five shots for Army.

The Greyhounds’ quest for their elusive first Patriot League victory continues on the road next week, as they travel to Lehigh on Saturday, October 19 for a 7 p.m. contest against the Mountain Hawks.